cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

atwood piezo no spark

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
One burner on my Atwood MPD 56282 quit sparking. I switched its wire to another burner and confirmed it is the piezo at the burner. Appears I must buy a whole new burner ($60) to replace it. Am I missing something? Appears the spark unit is built in. Or yes, I can keep a box of matches handy. Thanks, bill
8 REPLIES 8

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Or you can do as I did and add an external electrode next to the burner. Fairly inexpensive.

Original setup

New electrode

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Explorer
Explorer
Go online. I bought mine at a small rv parts place last year for $35
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
voodoo101 wrote:
One burner on my Atwood MPD 56282 quit sparking. I switched its wire to another burner and confirmed it is the piezo at the burner. Appears I must buy a whole new burner ($60) to replace it. Am I missing something? Appears the spark unit is built in. Or yes, I can keep a box of matches handy. Thanks, bill

Look carefully at one of the burners that's working and notice the raised hole where the spark comes from. Then look for the same raised hole on the bad burner to make sure it isn't clogged with food spillage, etc. If it is, carefully clean it and see if starts working. The burner only has an electrode in it, the piezo unit itself is at the control panel, and serves all of the burners. I replaced our piezo ignitor with an electronic ignitor that provides multiple sparks at each burner with just a button push.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When I was working with Marion Hovermale, he said 27% of Delco-Remy's income was derived from out-of-warranty parts replacement sales. Incredibly extensive service life studies were done on Remy components and they would not dream of a component upgrade unless it had the possibility of impinging on warranty territory. A CONTRA-GREEN philosophy that ------ me off now as it did 30-years ago.

This is what happens when the Robert McNamara's of the world captain the ships of industry. Until the USA sheds itself of trashcan engineering the Chinese are going to continue to eat our lunch. Why can't the USA build a HONDA grade generator? Wages in Japan are not cheap. Think about it. It's a national atrocity. Some political candidate is trumpeting the wrong tune.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've got 2 burners with no spark. But - the TT's only a month old and it's at the dealer now.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Toss it in the trash and buy another one
Same response I just received from AM Engineering, Lippert, Power Gear/Kwikee
Sorry we do not sell replacement parts for our Motors - buy a new one!!!!!!
Why is it a $2.00 part can not be obtained but a $70.00 part can
GREED
Or are they all made in China and no one really cares

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Same here. I grafted the bummer to the least-used burner position.

Thanks and good idea. But spark unit is in the burner and they are not interchangeable. At least not as far as I can tell.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Same here. I grafted the bummer to the least-used burner position.