cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood water heater anode rod

erald
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10 gallon atwood water heater and decided I wanted to clean this out since suspected the former owner never did much. So got me all the stuff I needed including a anode rod they advised me to put in.
When I opened the heater to flush it there was only a metal plug which looked like the anode was completely gone.
There was a lot of stuff in there and checking the inners with an endoscope I found a a lot of calcium still on the pipes, so going to fill it with vinegar to get that cleaned.

However my question is do you need that anode rod or not? I am reading it is not needed while other tel me it is needed or better advised to do so

What are the pros and what are the cons
17 REPLIES 17

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
They make an Anode rod for Atwood. NOT an Atwood part and NOT needed on an Atwood. You NEVER install a metal plug on an Atwood. You only use a Plastic plug. Metal plugs will seize to the aluminum threads. Doug

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a quote from the Atwood website.

"Atwood water heater tanks are constructed of a high strength aluminum.
The interior of the tank consists of a .0015 thickness of type 7072
aluminum (pure aluminum and zinc) that is fused to the core during the
rolling process. This material protects the tanks from the effects of heavy
metals and salts found in waters throughout the country. It is anodic to
these heavy metals and acts much like an anode in a steel glass lined
tank except it will last much longer. Aftermarket Anode Rods are not
required and should not be used and will void warranty."

No anode rod needed.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Attwood heaters are made of aluminum and don't use an anode. Suburban heaters require an anode because they are glass lined steel and subject to galvanic corrosion.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.