cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood Water Heater.

Branson_in_Tucs
Explorer
Explorer
Have a small leak in hot water tank. Not sure if its on the tank or a connection hose. Looks like it is coming from underneath. How hard is it to install one your self.
4 REPLIES 4

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Before you go off on dismantling and/or replacing parts.......

Replace the Drain valve it is plastic they leak all the time.

If I have to drain my hot water heater I automatically replace that darn plastic plug because it never goes back in with out crushing the threads.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
How old is your tank? when mine was 15 years old I thought it was leaking and needed to be replaced. when I looked in the back I noticed 2 plastic nuts as the previous poster mentioned. I put some paper towels under the nuts to determine where the leak was coming from. Several hrs later I went back and the paper was wet. After tightening them again no more leaks. This happened when camping in very cold weather below freezing.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Look on the back of the water heater. If it has a plastic, instead of brass backflow valve, they are known to get a small crack and leak.

The backflow valve will be screwed into the back of the tank, and the water hose screwed on to the backflow valve.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Branson_in_Tucs
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry failed to mention its 10 gal electric and gas. I can get to it and disconnect the gas and water connection fairly easy.