cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning Rattle

facory
Explorer
Explorer
My awning spring rattles when the awning is deployed. I have to retract it about a foot to stop the noise. How can I increase the tension on the recoil spring to stop it from rattling?
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike
4 REPLIES 4

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
facory wrote:
Rattle comes from inside the awning's tube. It rattles when you walk around or in/out of the trailer. The trailer is 8 years old as is the awning. It's all as good as when we bought it new. The rattle started last year. The tube ends are riveted and I don't see any way to adjust the tension. The only remedy I have been able to come up with is to retract it about one turn of the tube. I can deal with it. But URGH!

Then I would say one of the Torsion springs is busted/rusted. The fix is to replace the torsion spring on the end where the noise is coming from. Doug

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Rattle comes from inside the awning's tube. It rattles when you walk around or in/out of the trailer. The trailer is 8 years old as is the awning. It's all as good as when we bought it new. The rattle started last year. The tube ends are riveted and I don't see any way to adjust the tension. The only remedy I have been able to come up with is to retract it about one turn of the tube. I can deal with it. But URGH!
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
Is the rattle coming from the head or the arms. I had a rattle in the arms as there was play between the arm and the u channel they were connected to. I added nylon washers to fill the gaps on both sides.
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Electric or manual awning? The spring is set inside the tube. IF it is the part rattling, I have never heard of increasing the tension to stop that type noise. Usually, there are rivet pieces in the tube that rattle, annoying noise but not a problem. ADDING tension may cause operational problems. Is this a new awning or has some type of work been done on it in the past? Doug