cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Maintainer

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am in traveling mode, away from home. I have multi (GC2)battery banks because they are not near each other. They are charged with my Iota charge through a selector switch if in use. The bank not in use has a maintainer to keep the battery in condition. However that died the other day. I picked up Schumacher 1.5 amp unit. I hooked it up and it ran the batteries(set of GC2) up to 14.6 volts, since then it has cut back to 13.80 volts. Is this Ok to keep it powered on or will I boil out the water? Should I just plug and unplug the unit every so often until I get back home? My old maintainer would go up to 14.2 then drop back to 13.60 volts. Thanks Gary
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your battery maintainer is like 1/2% of the 230 amp hours capacity of the batteries.

Will it boil them dry.

YES, in about 10 years.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
In theory, you can add some resistance to the charger's path to the battery on either pos or neg so the battery sees a lower voltage. In real life, you would have to fiddle with things till you got it right. Could be easy or difficult. EG, I would try putting the neg clamp on the frame instead of the battery, to see if that did anything (assuming the battery is neg grounded to the frame)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Right now I am in Mission TX for a few more weeks. Than going to FLA for a week or two, than back to home by Dec.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
That voltage will be OK

Just check battery water levels

+1
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi CT,

You could balance the charging path and not bother with the maintainer at all. Side benefit would be a better Peukert response--more "real" amp-hours of capacity.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
That voltage will be OK

Just check battery water levels
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Fine as long as temperature is moderate. I would not leave it in Phoenix all summer.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
It should be OK.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)