cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery observations of winter storage.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I winterized the MH in late Oct, pushed battery disconnect to store for house batteries and disconnected the neg cable on my chassis battery. Checked house batteries in Feb and they lost 20% SOC. Checked again today and they were only down 10%. Of course in Feb it was in the 20's and today we are up in the 60's. The batteries are still at 90% SOC after 5 plus months sitting with no charge on them. Each year I think this is it the batteries won't make it through the winter because the batteries are 14 years old but it looks like they will make it another year. I really like the 2 6v GC batteries from Sam's Club, I think back in 2007 they were made by Duracell.
16 REPLIES 16

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess I kind of done that inadvertently. I recharge when my batteries get to about 80% SOC with my B&D 40 amp charger, when it says full I float with my onboard Magnatech 950 charger for a few days. I never keep the charger plugged in continually.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Duracell is a re-brand. Perhaps John Controls? A helping hand for warm weather use and storage is to adjust electrolyte density to 1.260

This must be done when the battery is brand new. It should be top charged and rested for a day. This can easily add 30 - 50% added lifespan.