cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery question

elm3420
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a stupid question, but here we go. If I have a battery that doesn't charge, would that stop the lights in my camper from working. Thanks in advance for the help.
Eddie, LeAnne, Hayden & Kaleb
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab w/ 5.7 Hemi VVT
2009 Flagstaff Super Lite 27BHSS ran into by a deer
2023 Jayco Jay Flight 265RLS
19 REPLIES 19

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
PLEASE DEFINE

Type and age of battery

Type and model of battery charging device

Define "Doesn't Charge" In what way? What are the symptoms? ๐Ÿ™‚

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on what your voltmeter reads.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The answer is two-fold. It depends upon if you are plugged into shore power or not.

If you are not plugged into shore power and you have no battery power, you will not have house light. House lights run on the 12 volt system.

If you ARE plugged into shore power and you have no battery power, you WILL have house lights. Because, the converter will take the 120 AC shore power the camper is plugged into and the converter will change that to 12 volt DC. The house lights run off the converter then. Batteries not needed.

However, if you have slides and no battery, even plugged into shore power, the slides most likely will not work. Almost all RV need the extra boost of the actual battery. The converter does not have enough output by itself. There are some exceptions, but over all, MOST RV need the battery to move the slides.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The lights are most likely 12V so yes-no battery (assuming it is dead), or other 12V source; then no lights.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, a battery that wonโ€™t charge doesnโ€™t have any juice to power lights. I believe you need to read a basic tutorial on RV batteries.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad