cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Storage Scenario

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
If I store new fully charged batteries in my shop for 6 mo through winter where the shop could be as cold as 10-15 degrees, would they be all right for next season? Or, should I use my harbor Freight battery maintainers to keep them up? They are cheap and there would be no one around to check them for the 6 months
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
17 REPLIES 17

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as they are fully charged they will be fine whether in your shop, garage, or on your rig. Our RV is parked in our side yard always connected to shore power, we keep it simple and just leave our batteries in place all year long, harsh winters and blazing summers have little effect on our fully charged batteries.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The cooler the temperature the less self discharge.

I would place a maintainer on the jars for 24 hours once per month.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's a flooded cell battery and it's fully charged when put in storage, there is no reason to trickle charge it. It will hole most of it's charge over the winter. I do that all the time with my farm tractors. I leave the start batteries in them but break the negative side with a knife switch. They start fine in the spring and it gets cold here.

What people don't realize is it's HOT weather that destroys a battery, not cold weather but the reason batteries fail in cold weather is because the battery was already compromised that summer but when it's cold, it takes appreciably more cold cranking amps to turn the engine and the compromised battery cannot supply them.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB