cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to clear grit and sand out of 7 pin plug??

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got back from the desert -- seriously dusty conditions. I unplugged my trailer and noticed that there is a lot of junk in the 7 pin plug.

What's the best way to clean it out? I will try the shop vac and an air compressor, but there is some sand stuck way back in there.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
28 REPLIES 28

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of great suggestions here -- thanks! I never would have thought of washing it out with water, but of course the connections get wet in the rain. So water should be ok.

And obviously, I will try dry methods (vacuum and air compressor) first. Then water. The let it dry and blow it out some more.

The screwdriver idea makes sense -- I can insert the blade gently to open up a gap so the grit can be blown out.

I am reluctant to try WD 40 -- I'm worried that it will trap more grit.

Someone suggested taking the unit apart -- it's a one piece molded item and can't be disassembled.

I've done a lot of off road towing, and I have never seen so much dust and grit in my equipment as we experienced in the Mojave Desert. Wow!! Might be a good idea to wrap some plastic around the 7 pin next time we go there, as suggested above.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of these to keep it clean and dry it works great.
https://www.reese-hitches.com/products/7_Way_Plug_Storage_Box,P-320

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of these it works great.
https://www.reese-hitches.com/products/7_Way_Plug_Storage_Box,P-320

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest first blow out as much as possible with air.
Next submerge in Simple green without diluting it. Leave in the Simple green for several hours or if you have the time a full day.
Next blow out the simple green with air then use hot water to remove the rest of the Simple Green. Then blow out with air until completely dry.

As stated get a cover for the plug when not is use. I found one at my local NAPA Auto Supply. 7 way rubber boot

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
pigman1 wrote:
Duhh? Take it apart, wash thoroughly with soap and water using a toothbrush to get in crannies, rinse and let dry and put it back together.

Duhh? Not all of them come apart. Some are molded together at the factory.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Duhh? Take it apart, wash thoroughly with soap and water using a toothbrush to get in crannies, rinse and let dry and put it back together.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
A can of CRC contact cleaner will blast out the grit, improve electrical connection and leaves no oily residue. You can get it at most auto stores.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
Get a can of computer keyboard duster (the compressed air in a can) and blow it out.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
schlep1967 wrote:
I would not use any spray until you get as much as possible out with air. Wet sand sticks unless it is very wet. Add in an oily mixture like wd-40 and it will stick forever. If you are talking about the pigtail I would disconnect the battery in the trailer, unplug the camper and dip that pigtail into a bucket of water. Move it around, shake it, force water into it maybe even use a hose to flush the sand out. After it is clean hit it with the air to get it dry. Then add whatever you use on your pins normally. But if you are going back to the sandbox I wouldn't put any lubricant in there unless you plan on putting a plastic bag over it when not hooked up. And it wouldn't hurt to wrap it with plastic when it is hooked up.

Agreed, as long as you aren't trying to use it immediately, hit it with a strong spray of water (even a pressure washer).

The plug is intended to live out in the weather, so as long as you give it a chance to dry out a bit before use, it should cause no harm. (if you are traveling in a rainstorm, it's certainly not going to keep water out)

Anything oily just tends to attract more dust and grit which is then even harder to remove.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pigtail end unless it is a molded end disassemble it and clean with compressed air and vacuum. If molded unit I would blow and vacuum as much as possible
, then contact cleaner.
Vehicle end disassemble and blow out.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
I would not use any spray until you get as much as possible out with air. Wet sand sticks unless it is very wet. Add in an oily mixture like wd-40 and it will stick forever. If you are talking about the pigtail I would disconnect the battery in the trailer, unplug the camper and dip that pigtail into a bucket of water. Move it around, shake it, force water into it maybe even use a hose to flush the sand out. After it is clean hit it with the air to get it dry. Then add whatever you use on your pins normally. But if you are going back to the sandbox I wouldn't put any lubricant in there unless you plan on putting a plastic bag over it when not hooked up. And it wouldn't hurt to wrap it with plastic when it is hooked up.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boomerweps wrote:
WD40 and a flat blade screwdriver. Use the screwdriver to open the connector blades. Wash it out with WD40. Then blow it dry.

WD 40 was designed to displace water on Electrical connections (WD=Water Displacement) So a very very good suggestion.

IF you are talking the SOCKET (Female holes) a small drill bit might work better than the screwdriver but either will work with enough WD-30 to flush it out. If you are talking the PLUG (the part with prongs) then the screwdriver is likely best.

When not plugged in a "Cap" over the beast might not be a bad idea.

After the WD-40 has basically gone away there is a product called DE-OX-IT (Give WD at least a month) and I'd spray 'em down with that as well... 5 or 10 if the contacts are fairly clean (DE-Ox-It comes in many "Strengths" from 5 to 90 or more. the bigger the number the bigger the $$$ number. it refers to the strength of the de-oxidizer in the spray)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Contact cleaner. Spray the hell out of it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
WD40 and a flat blade screwdriver. Use the screwdriver to open the connector blades. Wash it out with WD40. Then blow it dry.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,