cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to get satellite 118.7

Oldgrape
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy all. I have researched various ways to get access to Dish Satellite 118.7 (international channels). I currently have a Winegard In-motion satellite mounted on top of the coach. It really has trouble just getting the regular satellites due to many camp ground configurations and obstacles. It seems the best way to get both 118.7 and better reception of the other satellites is with a portable dish on a tripod that I can move around. My real question is how hard are they to pint and sink in? Are there any devices I can connect to help me?
Galen & Amy
2006 Winnebago TOUR 40KD
Joined 06/2014
USN Retired
7 REPLIES 7

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Oldgrape wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I have camped in a lot of campgrounds with trees here on the east coast. Also If I get a portable dish capable of picking up satellite 118.7 I can get the LNBs that will also pick up the rest for not much more. Then I can just run the cable through a switch to a hopper 3 and get everything. That's what I think anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am not sure about that. The Hopper 3 is a unique beast and requires either an updated LNB or the addition of the DHP42 switch. Not sure how that would all work when trying to pick up 4 satellites or the antenna setup that would be required to receive 110, 118.7, 119 and 129 but let us know what you find out.

118.7 would require a separate wing dish, and the current hybrid LNB's like the previous DPP LNB's have an input port that combines the wing dish signal with the other sat signals sent to the receiver.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oldgrape wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I have camped in a lot of campgrounds with trees here on the east coast. Also If I get a portable dish capable of picking up satellite 118.7 I can get the LNBs that will also pick up the rest for not much more. Then I can just run the cable through a switch to a hopper 3 and get everything. That's what I think anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am not sure about that. The Hopper 3 is a unique beast and requires either an updated LNB or the addition of the DHP42 switch. Not sure how that would all work when trying to pick up 4 satellites or the antenna setup that would be required to receive 110, 118.7, 119 and 129 but let us know what you find out.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you set up a portable tripod and 1000.2 dish with an eastern or western arc hybrid LNB, you could then set up a second tripod and single LNB dish for 118.7 that connects to the input port on the hybrid LNB. Then there would be no need for any switching at all.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Oldgrape
Explorer
Explorer
Galen & Amy
2006 Winnebago TOUR 40KD
Joined 06/2014
USN Retired

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
118.7 and 119 are different satellites. Dome style antennas will not lock to 118.7 but rather 119 which does not carry the same programming. There is a Duo LNB available to receive both simultaneously or you could just point a standard single LNB antenna to 118.7.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you camping? I've only had one camping trip where we couldn't get a Directv signal (HD = 3 sats) and we've been all over the country.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Rather then a manual tripod, have you thought of a portable automatic dish? We have an early Carry-out and works good for us.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker