cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Tank Handle pulled out of valve

CR_CRUISER
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall before I put the fiver to bed for the winter, I replaced both the grey and black tank valves as they were leaking slightly. I lubricated the slides with silicone grease and they slid back and forth quite easily.
We used the trailer last weekend and when I went to dump the tanks, the rod on the black tank valve pulled out of the slide. I didn't reef on the handle, just pulled it as I normally would. No amount of playing with it would get the valve to open.
Now what do I do? There's about 10 gallons of ickys in the tank and short of unbolting the valve and having pour out on the ground, how do I empty the tank so that I can replace the valve again?
21 REPLIES 21

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
352 wrote:
wnjj wrote:
Gjac wrote:
Twomed wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
How come it's always the BLACK tank handle that breaks.....:h

Some guy named Murphy....
In all seriousness does anyone know why the black tank is always harder to pull that the grey tank? When I replace both valves about 8 years ago, The black tank valve was almost impossible to move so I replaced both and put a grease fitting on the top of each valve. I have to add grease to the black valve every other year but the grey always seems to move fine. My only thought is the grey tank gets more soap from washing dishes and taking showers?

It's also larger so there more surface to stick.

Please refer to the discharge valve handle troubleshooting guide on page 542 on the RV General repair guide listed HERE
Your link just takes me to RV.net home page. I can't find a RV general repair guide.

Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Gjac wrote:
Twomed wrote:
downtheroad wrote:

In all seriousness does anyone know why the black tank is always harder to pull that the grey tank? When I replace both valves about 8 years ago, The black tank valve was almost impossible to move so I replaced both and put a grease fitting on the top of each valve. I have to add grease to the black valve every other year but the grey always seems to move fine. My only thought is the grey tank gets more soap from washing dishes and taking showers?

Please refer to the discharge valve handle troubleshooting guide on page 542 on the RV General repair guide listed HERE
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
Twomed wrote:
downtheroad wrote:

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Twomed wrote:
downtheroad wrote:

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
PaulJ2 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
PaulJ2 wrote:
Maybe coat the end of the rod with some kind of glue, push it back in, wait till the next day for the glue to dry and try again?

Then you will have the blade glued and stuck:B Doug

Yup,maybe but who cares if you have to change the valve anyway.
I just like trying things like that. :B

MY point was, HOW many valves have you changed with **** in the tank? NOT a easy scenario to take the 4 bolts out and try to get rid of the **** that will go all over the place. Drill the hole like I stated. WHY? because you will be replacing the valve anyway. Why attempt to glue or gum it up when it is bad anyway?. MY WAY, You get the **** out of the tank with minimum spillage. Doug

PS, I guess you like **** spilling all over you:h

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
PaulJ2 wrote:
Maybe coat the end of the rod with some kind of glue, push it back in, wait till the next day for the glue to dry and try again?

Yup,maybe but who cares if you have to change the valve anyway.
I just like trying things like that. :B

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
CR CRUISER wrote:
Last fall before I put the fiver to bed for the winter, I replaced both the grey and black tank valves as they were leaking slightly. I lubricated the slides with silicone grease and they slid back and forth quite easily. ....

What the heck, a new valve made where?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
If you glue the blade shut, you won't ever have to worry about dumping it....:C
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
PaulJ2 wrote:

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

Because it's the crappy one...

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Hey CR you got two of the best C and D...they must have taken the day off to answer during daylight. 🙂
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843