cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge -- and believe it or not, I have never used butt splice connectors. I've done my Internet research but have not been able to answer these two questions with any certainty:

First, when the package says "10/12 connectors," are they only for joining 10 to 12? Or are they saying that both ends of the connector will accept either 10 or 12?

Second, there is heat shrink, crimp, solder, etc. Which type will provide the most durable result, and which one is the easiest to use?

I am not a good solder-er, so I am hoping to avoid that method. As you can tell, I am not confident when it comes to electrical work.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
86 REPLIES 86

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
solman wrote:
OP I have over 40 years of automotive experience under my belt. You want to join a 10ga to 12ga wire and don't know how to solder. These are probably stranded wires you are encountering as I believe you said 12volt. Use a butt connector and a good crimp tool and you will be fine. Tug on the wires after crimping to make sure they are secure. If it comes apart redo it. If it is exposed to the weather cover with a piece of heat shrink tubing. A good idea to use it anyway. Wire nuts are not generally used in automotive applications for 12v circuits.

I agree wire nuts are not typically used in automotive but this is RV application and a wirenut is a great way to go for someone who has limited tools.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

solman
Explorer
Explorer
OP I have over 40 years of automotive experience under my belt. You want to join a 10ga to 12ga wire and don't know how to solder. These are probably stranded wires you are encountering as I believe you said 12volt. Use a butt connector and a good crimp tool and you will be fine. Tug on the wires after crimping to make sure they are secure. If it comes apart redo it. If it is exposed to the weather cover with a piece of heat shrink tubing. A good idea to use it anyway. Wire nuts are not generally used in automotive applications for 12v circuits.
Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"While they are rated for 120V use, I don't use them for AC wiring."

Curious why YOU don't use them for high voltage? I agree if using them buy the best!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or twist the wires together with lineman's and use a red wire nut.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem using WAGO connectors for low voltage wiring, particularly if it is wiring that needs to be disconnected/reconnected a couple of times, but be sure you are using actual WAGO connectors. There are imitation versions that are junk. While they are rated for 120V use, I don't use them for AC wiring.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
I need to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge -- and believe it or not, I have never used butt splice connectors. I've done my Internet research but have not been able to answer these two questions with any certainty:

First, when the package says "10/12 connectors," are they only for joining 10 to 12? Or are they saying that both ends of the connector will accept either 10 or 12?

Second, there is heat shrink, crimp, solder, etc. Which type will provide the most durable result, and which one is the easiest to use?

I am not a good solder-er, so I am hoping to avoid that method. As you can tell, I am not confident when it comes to electrical work.

Prof, I read through all of the pages before I posted, just to make sure that Mex didn't post. He has the most experience of anyone I have seen on these boards on these type of topics and I would trust his over my experience.

GDE's post on the first page with the link to the crimpers is good information for low voltage stranded wire. I actually carry that same crimper in my 5er. Use plain butt connectors and put heat shrink over them. Just put the heat shrink on the wire before crimping. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am a fan of soldering wires, but they make the wire brittle. That's not something you want when you are going down the road. Soldering as well as wire nuts are just fine on something that never moves or vibrates. That being said, I currently have wire nuts on my 30 amp connection, but that is going to change this spring when I will be installing a surge protector.

soldering doesn't make wire brittle. However what often can and doe happen is to much solder is used, it wicks up the strands and insulation and makes a stress point where the soldered section is rigid and the rest is flexible. So, under vibration that section between ridgid and flex vibrates and fails. Properly soldered the solder is ONLY at the crimp NONE up the insulation, problem solved. However that is easier said than done.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:

Prof, I read through all of the pages before I posted, just to make sure that Mex didn't post. He has the most experience of anyone I have seen on these boards on these type of topics and I would trust his over my experience.

GDE's post on the first page with the link to the crimpers is good information for low voltage stranded wire. I actually carry that same crimper in my 5er. Use plain butt connectors and put heat shrink over them. Just put the heat shrink on the wire before crimping. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am a fan of soldering wires, but they make the wire brittle. That's not something you want when you are going down the road. Soldering as well as wire nuts are just fine on something that never moves or vibrates. That being said, I currently have wire nuts on my 30 amp connection, but that is going to change this spring when I will be installing a surge protector.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Not all wire nuts are alike, I've seen some that you needed to be very watchful of them when installing them. The best are Schlock by 3M.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

YES they meet "CODE" but IMHO they are just as bad as stab and jab receptacles.

Mike134 wrote:
X2!! on the WAGOs GARBAGE!!

Since the two of you are passing yourself off as experts, why do you not like WAGOs? Experience? Personal preference?

You'll have to determine if 38 years as a licensed electrician makes me an expert.

Wago's rely on spring pressure to hold a strip of metal against the wire just like those CHEAP back stabbed receptacles use. Tiny point of contact unlike wires that are twisted together then covered with a wirenut. I will say WAGOs are handy when doing speaker wires (not life safety speakers such as a fire alarm system) or connecting multiple control wires that do not carry more than 0.25 amp current.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TechWriter wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

Since the two of you are passing yourself off as experts, why do you not like WAGOs? Experience? Personal preference?

I already said why. Thin pc of metal making the connection. Proper tightening of a wire nut takes more time but much better connection.

Commercial Construction Superintendent 35 years here. The quality minded Electricians would not use them. The guys who just wanted to get it done used the WAGOS because they are easy.

Like I said they meet code. But the fact is CODE is a minimum. I do not like minimum.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
profdant139 wrote:
Someone said, "I never knew connecting two wires together was so complicated." That's the problem with being a non-expert (which is what I am for sure). I often don't know what I don't know until I ask. I have learned from past misteaks -- don't assume that something that looks simple is simple.

True story -- we were taking my kids skiing for the first time and told them they would take lessons to start. My 8 year old said, "Lessons? I don't need lessons. I already know how to ski. You just put your poles between your legs and go!"

To put it another way, confidence is that wonderful feeling you have before you really understand what's happening.

So that is why I asked about how to connect two wires on my RV. My gut said "wire nuts" and my head said "maybe not -- better check with the good folks on the forum."

Your โ€œGUTโ€ was correct IMHO.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Someone said, "I never knew connecting two wires together was so complicated." That's the problem with being a non-expert (which is what I am for sure). I often don't know what I don't know until I ask. I have learned from past misteaks -- don't assume that something that looks simple is simple.

Wait till you ask about 6v vs 12v batteries. Oy vey!
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II

True story -- we were taking my kids skiing for the first time and told them they would take lessons to start. My 8 year old said, "Lessons? I don't need lessons. I already know how to ski. You just put your poles between your legs and go!"

To put it another way, confidence is that wonderful feeling you have before you really understand what's happening.

So that is why I asked about how to connect two wires on my RV. My gut said "wire nuts" and my head said "maybe not -- better check with the good folks on the forum."
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
I need to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge -- and believe it or not, I have never used butt splice connectors.

They're fine, and you have plenty of choices.

Also, look at WAGO 221s.

YES they meet "CODE" but IMHO they are just as bad as stab and jab receptacles. Simply put your touching a small surface to complete the circuit with these. MUCH better off with a wire nut or even a butt splice.

I built over 100 Dental Clinics in my career and I did not allow them on my jobs. Only place I did was connecting low voltage draw lighting.

Grit dog this post just might get to 10 pages before the week is done!! LOL I've already unsubscribed, way too much email notifying me of yet another post. I'll just peek in every so often

wago's are rated very highly, rare to hear they are garbage. I use the ideal's and they work fine, and are considered inferior to wago.

Wago's on amazon