cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper tripping house breaker

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor brought home a trailer that had been sitting outside in storage lot for two years and when he tries plugging into his house it keeps tripping the house breaker.

When I took a look at its not until I turn on the main 30 amp breaker in the camper that this occurs. In other words all the others can be on/off and not make a difference only when the main is turned on does it cause the problem.

I disconnected the converter/charger and no difference.

What should be the next thing I check?

Thanks

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650
7 REPLIES 7

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it trips with the main breaker in the RV and no other breakers on in the RV, also check the 120V distribution panel wiring in the RV. Perhaps there's a neutral or ground wire touching the main bus and shorting it out or something along those lines.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
OP back, will try these ideas out tomorrow.

Thanks

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

SeaDog_BRR
Explorer
Explorer
follow the advice that Toddupton gave that is the easiest and a safe way to isolate the problem. You may want to check to ensure the shore power cord is wired correctly to the trailer main breaker.
Greg aka SeaDog Ret Navy
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS TT
96 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ W/SO (selling)
06 F350 6.0, Harley Ultra Classic ๐Ÿ™‚ 64 corvette ๐Ÿ™‚

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
A. The stick house breaker is for a house circuit that already has some stick house loads on it and can't take the extra RV load.

B. The stick house breaker is GFCI and the RV has a GFCI fault somewhere from the adapter that goes into the stick house receptacle and almost anything in the RV. Water in the RV's outside receptacle? (Just washed after getting it home?) Roof leak in the RV and something inside that got wet the last two years?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
could be a weak breaker in the switchbox too.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The shore power cord.

With a meter, check for continuity between the three prongs on the male end of the shore cord. Unless a device is plugged into a receptacle there should be:

0 continuity between line (hot) and neutral
0 continuity between neutral and ground
0 continuity between ground and line (hot)
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Turn ALL breakers off then turn on the main. Turn on the breakers one at a time and see what trips it. If it trips as soon as the main is turned on then you have more digging to do.