cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can a generator get rained on?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the danger of running generator in the rain...but that's not my issue...

If we are camping, and have the generator with us but are not actually using it at the time (operating on shore power), does it cause direct harm for the generator to be exposed to rain? Is it necessary to keep it under cover from rain even when not in use?

This line of question came to my mind because I've had motorcycles for years...that have wires and metal parts exposed everywhere....that I ride in the rain...and there's no particular immediate harm that results...it starts, the panel still operates, etc., even in a downpour...and it doesn't immediately turn to rusty dust

Thanks for input
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
26 REPLIES 26

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
My firefighter friends use those Hondaโ€™s in all weather without any problems

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question we don't really know, but I'd put it under the table, toss a tarp over it etc.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Covers donโ€™t cost a lot so why not use a cover when not in use - rain or shine. Essential? Probably not.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
This is my favorite quote:

soren wrote:

I use a Honda 2000, on a daily basis as a homebuilder. It runs eight hours a day, sitting in the mud, snow or on a gravel pile. It has spent days in the pouring rain, seen a few snow storms, and got peed on by a dog. After three years, the case is banged up a bit, it needs a tune-up and an oil change. As for a rain cover......seriously? Don't forget to knit a little sweater for it too....it's chilly out.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Plastic folding table or small section of plywood setting on some pieces of firewood should do the trick.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Generac website, " Can a portable generator be used during inclement weather?โ€“
NEVER run a generator directly in the rain, snow or other wet conditions. NEVER run a generator indoors or in a garage."

I believe while the gas engine would be fine, the generator is air cooled with open air vents.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always cover my generator when it isn't running and outside.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
What does the owners manual say about it. Wind driven rain can get into some places, cause havoc and then you'll be wondering why things get rusty and don't work. A simple lawn chair cover with about 30 seconds of effort would alleviate that.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just drape a tarp over it, and anchor the tarp with rocks. I'm not sure that rain would be harmful, but I don't want to take a chance.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
As long as no water is going into the fuel or carburetor there is no immediate need to panic and jump up at 3am to bring it inside. Although a tarp would not hurt. Running it 20 minutes to dry it out before storage would not hurt either.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not ideal but we've used ours in a little light sprinkles at times with no ill effects (at least it's 14yrs old and still runs fine).

I would be more hesitant in a total downpour. Better if you could rig up a tarp or something to keep the worst of it off. Maybe put it under the truck tailgate with the exhaust facing away from both truck and trailer but at least keep most of the rain off it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine can.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman