cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can bad EGR cause trnsmission problems?

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
I have the MH listed in my signature i.e. Chevy 454 P series with I believe the 4L80E transmission. Recently experienced problem with not shifting into overdrive and intermittent Check Engine light. OBD scan shows bad EGR valve. Could this cause the shifting problem?
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)
33 REPLIES 33

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
I fully understand how the system works the leak at idle I'm talking about is when the pintal sticks open at idle caused by carbon build up or carbon in the seat causing the valve not to close anyway the op is trying to find out why the trans. wont go into high gear

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
double post

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You can read codes yourself.
How to read code
Doubt if it is EGR!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
This 1994 P30 should be OBD1. How were the codes pulled and what were they? This Listing
shows several EGR codes. Hopefully replacing EGR will clear any/all of them.

Notice there is a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and it too can throw a code.

I mention VSS because some automatic transmissions of this vintage would shift 1-2-3 but not into OD/4 if VSS had failed.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Deleted - entered in error.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'm sorry but my experience indicates you are wrong. You also don't entirely understand how the EGR system works.
There IS NO EGR present at idle - no vac is applied at the EGR valve, therefore a leak will not make it idle rough. It will not run rough going down the road either because of the raised RPM's. You can verify this by disconnecting any small vacuum line and driving - the eng will run smooth enough at higher RPM's (than idle) that you wont suspect anything is wrong.
I've had experience with several failing EGR's and none made it run rough.
If the valve itself is sticking, it will result in power loss but that is rare.

allbrandauto wrote:
ScottG wrote:
allbrandauto wrote:
A egr valve that has a vacuum leak will give you rough idle when you go down the road the egr valve opens up letting exhust into the intake to get rid of a gas called nox don't think this is your problem again cat. converter can cause this but you would also have no power is it not going into high gear or is the torque converter not locking up if its the torque converter not locking up could be brake light switch

It wont always give a rough idle.
Vacuum is only applied under certain throttle conditions (not at idle) and with the throttle closed, the engine will idle perfectly unless the EGR valve is stuck open - that is the only time it will cause a rough idle and that failure mode is rare. The usual failure mode of an EGR is that the vacuum diaghram gets ruptured. Then the vavle doesn't respond properly. Then at intermediate throttle positions, you will have a vacuum leak because the ECM is trying to apply vacuum to it and it's leaking.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

It appears this transmission uses a vacuum modulator. A leak or a bad modulator itself will cause shift issues. Can shift issues interfere with the transmission going into overdrive?

Diagnostics may want to include taking vacuum readings at the EGR valve and at the modulator vacuum line connection. Correct vacuum signals eliminate the chance of a vacuum leak causing the problem but do not eliminate the possibility of having a bad modulator itself.

A pro-grade OBD scan might be wise. The above is just a hint about receiving confusing OBD scan results - where to look next.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
yes you are right but vacuum leak is so minor it wont cause a driveabilty problem

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
allbrandauto wrote:
A egr valve that has a vacuum leak will give you rough idle when you go down the road the egr valve opens up letting exhust into the intake to get rid of a gas called nox don't think this is your problem again cat. converter can cause this but you would also have no power is it not going into high gear or is the torque converter not locking up if its the torque converter not locking up could be brake light switch

Vacuum is only applied under certain throttle conditions (not at idle) and with the throttle closed, the engine will idle perfectly unless the EGR valve is stuck open - that is the only time it will cause a rough idle and that failure mode is rare. The usual failure mode of an EGR is that the vacuum diaghram gets ruptured. Then the vavle doesn't respond properly. Then at intermediate throttle positions, you will have a vacuum leak because the ECM is trying to apply vacuum to it and it's leaking.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
allbrandauto wrote:

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. EGR will be replaced this afternoon. On another forum throttle position sensor was also mentioned as a possible cure.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would fix the EGR before you take it to the transmission shop.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
With EGR problems you may have had your foot harder into the pedal, making up shifts unlikely.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've had EGR issues which turned into catalytic converter issues which then reduced engine power, resulting in inability to hold a higher gear...
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE