cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can Generator loose its power?

cacoon
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Champion 3500-4000 Watt generator with a 30 amp plug that is about 4 years old. I have a 13.5 AC on my 2012 Keystone Springdale. I have run this AC before with this generator in the past. The last two times I tried to run the AC with the Generator it would kick on then start to sputter and sound horrendous. The generator has no problems running anything else in the trailer including coffee pot and Microwave and electric skillet. When I run the AC it was the only thing on. Same with microwave or coffee pot and skillet. Can the generator loose the electrical power it puts out? I was told by several that 3000 watts will run the AC. The AC ran fine at home on my 30 amp plug at my house both before and after this last trip.
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Multiple possible causes but to answer the subject: YES.

First: As the A/C ages it may need a bit more "Kick" to start. A Soft Start kit MIGHT fix this, also general preventive maintenance. (Cleaning and such, specifically fans, blowers and condenser coils)

Also check all screws on Circuit breakers, and wires to make sure they are tight, Many RVers have .. A few screws loose.

Next your 12 volt side of life.. As we plug in more and more devices the power load caused by the converter increases.. Poor batteries may add to that as well.

Finally we have the generator itself. Spark plugs foul, Carb's gum up, and other issues which you might not notice at half load, but when that big compressor kicks in and sucks up the power.. YOU NOTICE. The engine no longer has what it takes.. Given your description, That's where I'd start.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
cacoon wrote:
Thanks for all the tips, As far as the Spark Plug and air filter the plug was changed last year and the the air filter probably needs to be cleaned. Thanks for all the guidance.

Engine should drop a bit on RPM then recover without sputtering.

For a test, try adding a little choke when starting the A/C.

If adding choke smooths out the engine then the problem is a clogged main jet in the carb.

This is a common problem with the Honda design carbs.

Typically this carb is a very good design, but it IS prone to the main jet getting clogged no matter how much you fuss with the fuel.

To clean the main jet you turn off the gas.

Then empty the fuel bowl (remove a small screw on the side of the fuel bowl).

Then remove the screw on the bottom center of the fuel bowl.

Then pull the fuel bowl down and off the carb.

The main jet is located INSIDE CENTER POST that the fuel bowl screw was screwed into.

You will need a flat blade screw driver just narrow enough to fit inside the center post.

Unscrew and allow contents to drop into your hand.

Look into the carb, if you see the jet still in the carb body you will need to carefully push it down (friction fit).

Once jet assy has been removed take a carb cleaner in a spray can and forcefully spray through the jet openings. Done correctly you should see a nice spray pattern through the jet.

Reassemble and restart the gen, engine should now operate when warmed up without the need to keep the choke on anymore.

Barring that, you can easily buy a new carb and they are real inexpensive at about $19.. Take the name of the carb and search Amazon.. Should be able to find one that matches..

I have a similar China import gen as a Champion, cleaning the jet fixed mine.. It had gotten so bad that I had to squirt some carb cleaner into the air filter just to get it started.. Then I had to run the engine with half choke or it would sputter/stumble/hunt.

With a clean jet, it now starts one or two pulls and no more choke to keep it smooth.

cacoon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips, As far as the Spark Plug and air filter the plug was changed last year and the the air filter probably needs to be cleaned. Thanks for all the guidance.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Old gas, clogged carb, old fouled spark plug, dirty air filter, etc. can all cause a generator to not be able to produce as much power as it used too. How long has it been since you changed the plug and air filter?

rstanek
Explorer
Explorer
Check the governor on your carb to make sure it is adjusted properly, it can work out of adjustment because of vibration, if it's not working properly, it won't give the engine proper amount of fuel when needed.
2007 Eagle 322FKS
2015 Chev Silverado 6.0 4:10

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and a can of sea foam will clean the gunk in the carb.

MrWizard
Get some seafoam
Put some in the gas tank run the generator with about one half load
For half the tank
Shut down let it rest and soak for 48 hours
Then start it and run it dry
This should clean the carb and fuel lines of any deposits
Then try your A/C

It should be noted, don't wait until afternoon and it's 100ยฐ
In the TT to run the generator and A/C
A hot a/c unit is much harder to start than a cool one
Try your a/c in morning before it before is is heat soaked from the sun
The start surge on compressor will be less
The start cap for compressor might be headed south
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Start capacitor on A/C might be getting weak, could either change it or add a hard start kit to the A/C. Also make sure nothing else is on, especially the power converter charging the battery. And as mentioned if you are at a higher elevation that reduces the ginnys capacity. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

You can test the quality of the power the generator is producing.

This protocol was suggested by mexicowanderer whom I have the greatest respect for:

TEST: Shore power versus alternative power. Put glass of water in microwave and start, if voltage drops to 109 vac or less at same outlet as microwave is plugged into, end of test. Energy source is inadequate.

Stage 2 Same glass of water, start at room temperature with oven thermometer. Set timer for one minute high. Remove glass measure temperature on shore power

Stage 3 Do the same with alternative power source and compare temperature difference to test above.

If there is a large temperature difference, then your microwave is going to unlove you trying to suffer through inadequate voltage or waveform.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cacoon
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both, I will check Carb. As far as the altitude I did run AC in the past at this very campground. Thanks for the response.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Higher elevation can reduce power quite a bit.
Capacitors in the AC can deteriorate over time.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A/c has a tremendous startup surge, which your generator may be struggling with. We Honda owners struggle with our little carburetors getting clogged up by storing fuel in them. Perhaps that is what is causing yours to lose power.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman