cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian Snowbird needs TV Satelite Help!

Bankerbob
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Ontario Canada I subscribe to "Shaw Satellite TV". I'm heading down to the RGV in Texas for the winter and was wondering if I should pack up the "Dish & Receiver"??? Like most Canadians I enjoy Hockey and Canadian news. Is it worth the effort? Would appreciate any info/experiences other snowbirds/winter Texans have had with "Shaw". Thanks in advance.
13 REPLIES 13

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unbeknownst to some, CBC have both Radio and TV :).

CBC Radio is available in the US as satellite radio (don't remember the name) and is quite popular, offering completely commercial-free programming of various content. I have to say that watching (or listening) local news from thousands miles away, with winter weather and all, feels odd. Kind of defeats the purpose of escaping.

CBC TV is available to stream for free CBC TV Live , and they are usually good at covering Canucks games.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Will pass them along.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
From dishpointer.com for Alamo TX:

Elevation 57
Azimuth true 203.9
Azimuth magnetic 199.8
Skew 102

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian friends here in Alamo, Texas need setup information for their Shaw equipment. Elevation, Skew, and Azimuth.

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
I had talked to Shaw from Arizona many times in 2016 when my PVR was giving me grief. I was reluctant at first to tell them where I was because of all the internet stories. I finally told them and it had no bearing on the service I received from them.

So yes take your Shaw down. Go Canucks Go.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
noteven wrote:
I can see carting equipment to watch hockey...

But the "news"?

CBC radio has an app allowing you to stream your local programming including "news" which still resembles news unlike the TV bullchit....
You watch the RADIO? How odd.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
roy67ss wrote:
Harvard wrote:
Sure, take it with you BUT do not tell Shaw or they will disable your receiver.

You are mistaken. Only Bell would do that!

Take your Shaw stuff with you like lots of the Canadian birds do. No problem. If you are not set up for a while, you may need to do a receiver refresh to get it back up and working. You do this online. Make sure you have setup an online access to your account.

It has never happened to me but I never take the risk.
Here is one example

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can see carting equipment to watch hockey...

But the "news"?

CBC radio has an app allowing you to stream your local programming including "news" which still resembles news unlike the TV bullchit....

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure everything works before you leave.
Don't ever call your provider from outside the country If you have to call for any reason, do it from your home address.
Use it regularly or otherwise your receiver may get "out of sync" requiring phone call to your provider.
Good luck

roy67ss
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:

You are mistaken. Only Bell would do that!

Take your Shaw stuff with you like lots of the Canadian birds do. No problem. If you are not set up for a while, you may need to do a receiver refresh to get it back up and working. You do this online. Make sure you have setup an online access to your account.
Roy

2011 GMC 3500, Duramax, Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG with most options

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I take two of my Shaw receivers. I would go insaner if I had to rely on broadcast TV all winter.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure, take the setup. You will get 2 of the 3 satellites so you might be missing some of the HD programming but you will have never all of your channels available.
Not so much for Bell but Shaw is still good in the US.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?