cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cca wire ?

snapper388
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a roll of 4 awg power wire on ebay to run from the converter to the battery for what I thought was a good price. when I received the wire it looked like copper but didn't feel heavy enough to be copper after doing some research I learned it is copper clad aluminum wire. I'm going to move my battery within ten feet of the converter. is it safe to use cca wire for this application? or do I need to buy copper?
David
7 REPLIES 7

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd see about a place that can make custom length wires that are pre-crimped with whatever end lugs that you need. That way, since they are sealed with heat-shrink tubing, there won't be corrosion issues later on.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to post a warning about this a few months ago. Alas for quicksand posting retention. I would not use aluminum ON A BET.

GM tried using aluminum battery cables back in the 70's. They lost their rear. They were copper clad, they used NoOx, and they still had fires.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Use copper. For 20' of wire, you're not talking about a huge monetary loss. You can buy welding cable in short lengths that will be easy to install.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

snapper388
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered this wire to charge the battery with the 55 amp converter it is power wire for a 12 volt car stereo amp it is copper coated aluminum and I have never used it before. didn't even know they made it. all the info I find is on copper or aluminum have not found anything on copper clad. I don't want to use something that will cause problems. or that is not big enough.
David

teddyu
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to use No-Ox on the ends if you use the CCA. Even though it is clad, the cladding can be damaged when tightening. Using No-Ox is a safe precaution. JM2ยข...
Ted Fulltiming in the DreamCatcher a
2008 Challenger 371PE on F53 w/ 2010 Cobalt
R'V there yet?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can search the internet for wire calculators and compare the voltage drop for different wires and amps. The AL wire won't be as good but may be OK. I'd use all CU.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What size wire is required for the inverter? Aluminum would have to go up in size.
Aluminum connections would need to have de-oxidation compound applied to all connections. Connections would need to be rated for AL/CU.
You would need to tighten them several times to insure they stay that way.
Personal opinion, go with copper. I would go farther to say get some multi-stranded from a marine supply and not use building wire.
West Marine battery wire

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker