cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 3150 inverter generator sound/noise?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Per my other thread, my trusty Honda EU3000is generator failed on my last trip.

It has served me exceptionally for the last 13 years. Running stretches as long as 11 days at a time (24hous). I cannot even guess how many hours it has on it.

The closest Honda shop is 30+ miles away and wants $210 to diagnose the problem. I am going to try and fix it myself.

In the meantime, I needed a generator and I know the Honda has reached an age that has me wanting a backup.

So, after many hours of reading reviews and watching YouTube videos, I pulled the trigger on one of the Champion 3150 inverter generators with remote start/stop.

I unboxed it and set it up per the docs. It is currently running on my back deck.

After all of the good reviews that I read, I am VERY disappointed with how loud it is. Reviewers reported that it was "almost" as quiet as the Honda.

I call BS!

If I had another $1300 in the budget the Champion would be gone and I would buy another Honda.

Has anyone here had any success quieting the Champion? Any suggestions?

Thanks

S.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
20 REPLIES 20

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear that. I was camped next to one of these and I moved because of it. Under load those things are really loud, sound like a jackhammer.

My neighbor used it for his coffee and toast every morning when I was trying to enjoy my coffee outside. And of course he had to set it between him and me, where the sound could reflect off the side of his trailer. There were no neighbors on the other side.

Decibels are not always the best indicator of actual generator noise. The kind of sound and how far it carries are what you hear.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
PNW,

The noise levels are 58 db for the champion and 58 db for the Honda.

I suspect it may get quieter after the 20 hours of break in and that first oil change.

No its not, the Honda is 50 at <25%, 58% at rated load.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
PNW,

The noise levels are 58 db for the champion and 58 db for the Honda.

I suspect it may get quieter after the 20 hours of break in and that first oil change.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You can make it quite by purchasing a Honda.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Have you run it under load? I've noticed that's where my Champion 3400 shines. The sound barely increases. My old Yamaha would scream in comparison.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
50 vs 58 db, short of building a ventilation box, there is nothing u can do. make sure you have it in eco mode.

not exactly sure what you expected. its over half the price cheaper then the honda and has remote start/stop.

did you really expect it to be identical?