cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning A/C coils: DIY or hire a pro? (See March 8 update)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had my trailer for ten years -- never did anything to clean the a/c components. (Shameful, I know.)

But last summer, the a/c iced up once or twice -- sending me a message to do something.

I can climb up onto the roof, although I don't want to. And I know I can buy A/C maintenance tools, like a comb to clean the fins.

My question is simple: how many folks do it all themselves, and how many hire a pro?

Thanks in advance for playing! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
34 REPLIES 34

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The combs are for straightening the fins not cleaning them. Whatever you do, do not bend those fins and straighten any that are. Just get a can of cleaner and use a directed. Look at YouTube for videos on how. It's not complicated but can messy if you aren't careful.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
It started out simple enough, I did not know anything about AC. Paid to have some stuff done, Tech shows up for 30 minutes, installs a $30 part and charges me $250, that was back when $250 was a lot of money!! So I learned some of the simple basic things. I have also seen perfectly good roof airs replaced because the evaporator was plugged with gunk!

Then I learned more and more,now I do my own installs! Yup even in my house. Have a new LG AC delivered yesterday going in my Roadtrek this week! Go to You tube and search coil cleaning, read the comments as some of the videos are done be people that don't have a clue.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
It has never occurred to me to clean out the A/C coils on our camper. How much do you guys use your AC? We usually only use ours a couples weekends during the hottest part of the summer. Going on 20 years, AC still works fine.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
LynnandCarol wrote:
apply armall (sp??) on the plastic fan blade.

ArmorAll?

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We do ours yearly. You can buy the coil cleaner at a hardware store. Spray and let it sit for a few minutes, then brush off. We use an old tooth brush so we can get to the smaller areas (i.e. bends in the tubes). At the same time lubricate the fan axle and apply armorall (sp??) on the plastic fan blade.