Explorer
Explorer
Boil the water first? I must have done something wrong :@
25 REPLIES 25

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
Boiling water only kills the bacteria. it won't eliminate the particulates in water. That is what clouds ice cubes, the more cloudy the cubes are the more junk is in your tap water! :B

If you have tap water that filthy you have other problems in a very big way. You must have been listening to the Culligan adverts, which are as close to lies as they can get away with. I was trained as an environmental engineer if you want to question my expertise. The Culligan adverts lie in other ways, have you ever considered how stupid it is to remove Calcium and magnesium from your drinking water and add Sodium (which is supposedly bad for you). And TAKE Calcium/Magnesium pills at the same time??
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
For fun, super cooled water will turn instantly into ice.

I've experienced twice in my life, had a pitcher of water sitting in the garage when it was 20ยฐF outside. Picked the pitcher up, and it was instant ice. 2nd time was while flying... To this day, I wonder why I was chosen to still be alive.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Boiling water only kills the bacteria. it won't eliminate the particulates in water. That is what clouds ice cubes, the more cloudy the cubes are the more junk is in your tap water! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand it, if you freeze the water in one direction, if gives the gasses room to escape.

See here for one way to do this, he used regular tap water.

https://youtu.be/n5H2Opjql9g

Sorry I'm on my phone, can't make it a click.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
LittleBill wrote:
hi folks, clear as glass ice cubes are made by freezing water that is in constant movement, air is what causes the cloudiness, not the water content

That's correct the dissolved gases make it cloudy. If you have a tank of helium you 'sparge' the water with helium, bubble the helium thru the water using one of those aquarium bubbler stones and that will remove the gas from the water. Distilled water might help.

I've also heard that freezing the water in thin layers works but could get very tedious. I assume that allows the gas to escape as the water freezes.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MrWizard
i use water from 'water machines' to make ice in my portable ice maker

its all clear when i take it from the machine and but it in the freezer

but some will harden clear and some will harden cloudy

probably more cloudy ice than clear ice
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Flowing water does make a great clear ice cube as well as the other tips offered here. The reason boiled water and distilled water make a clearer ice cube is because they lack the air that's entrained with most tap water. It's the air in the water and any other impurities that freeze after the pure water around the sides freeze. In the old days of ice making plants, there was a device known as a "core sucker" that sucked out the center of the ice block as the outer shell was freezing and replaced it with fresh water to make a clearer block of ice. Pure water freezes first and then the impure water with air and minerals freezes last and that part of the block/cube is cloudy. Nothing in it that will hurt you but it looks better.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
hi folks, clear as glass ice cubes are made by freezing water that is in constant movement, air is what causes the cloudiness, not the water content

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I read once that boiling water before freezing will aid with clear ice cubes. Have no idea if it works, but I read it somewhere once.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure of the point but boiling the water first will help assure it is safer to drink.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DR650
Explorer
Explorer
Use distilled water......
2008 F350 V10, Auto, Crew Cab, XLT, Long Bed
2005 Rockwood 2104
2017 Yamaha XT250 Dual Sport Motorcycle