cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cold water mixing with hot water?

rheo1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, this is our first trip out this year. When we go to use the hot water, when we turn the faucet on, the water starts real hot, and within a few seconds, it becomes cooler, and the cold water is mixing in with the hot. It's Redwood 5th wheel, and the winterizing valves are in the normal position.

Any idea on what could cause this and how to fix it?

Thanks
Rheo1
9 REPLIES 9

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
mchero wrote:
Rheo1

Please tell us the make/model of your water heater.

Some of the higher end Atwood hot water heaters heat the water to 180 deg. and mix that 180 deg. water with cold water via a mixing valve on the rear of the HWH. Their is also a winterize valve on the back of the hot water heater. This mixing vale can stick giving you either scalding hot water,lukewarm or cold.
Clarification:
Atwood XT models use Mixing Valve.
Normal t-stat preset for 160*F (vs 140*F for regular models) ECO (High temp t-stat) preset for 180*F and Mixing valve output preset for 130*F

Also..... remove ALL airators (spelling?) on each faucet and/or spraw wands. I was amazed at the amount of garbage that collects behind them. Put them back on when cleaned. They help save water.

XT Models with Mixing Valves have an issue with clogging up and then only having cold water going into hot water line.

Seems you have IDd problem being with bypass valve allowing cold water to flow into hot water line. IF that is true then you must have only a check valve in hot outlet that is going closed otherwise you would have warm 'hot' water vs cold 'hot' water.

Sometimes valve handle moves but valve doesn't......handle just slips on valve stem. Remove handle and turn stem with pliers.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Rheo1

Please tell us the make/model of your water heater.

Some of the higher end Atwood hot water heaters heat the water to 180 deg. and mix that 180 deg. water with cold water via a mixing valve on the rear of the HWH. Their is also a winterize valve on the back of the hot water heater. This mixing vale can stick giving you either scalding hot water,lukewarm or cold.

Also..... remove ALL airators (spelling?) on each faucet and/or spraw wands. I was amazed at the amount of garbage that collects behind them. Put them back on when cleaned. They help save water.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

rheo1
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the unit new since 11'. First time I've had this issue. I had someone look at it while it's at the campground, and he narrowed it down to the cold water bypass valve. So I have one on order. I appreciate all the help. I will now know to go here first.
Thanks again.
Rheo1

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double-check the winterizing valves for the water heater.

Some bypass valve setups rely on one-way valves, which may be built into the water heater connections, and sometimes these one-way valves get stuck or have some debris lodged in them. Typically the one-way valve would be at the hot water output, and even if it were stuck I don't think you'd get unwanted hot and cold mixing if the other valves were set properly, but there may be some other arrangement I'm not aware of or thinking of at the moment.

Is the water heater a "10 gallon" model that actually has a six gallon tank that is heated extra hot and mixes the water at the output to get a reasonable hot water temperature? If so, that mixing valve could be acting up for whatever reason.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
You mention it being your first trip this season - is it new?

Is it fair to assume that you have had the unit for a while and this is a new problem ?

Also, were any major changes/repairs done to the plumbing lately ?

My first two thoughts are:
Defective valve in a single handle faucet.
Pipes to hot water heater connected backwards.
But neither of those may apply.

Does the problem occur at ALL faucets/showers ??

Edit: And how about a big air bubble in the hot water tank; is there a "bleeder" valve ?

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
You mention it being your first trip this season - is it new? If it isn't the outside shower or the winterizing bypass valve, the only other thing I can think of is construction debris. We had a problem with our coach back in 2007 when it was new, that a small piece of debris had gotten into a line and then broke free about two months after we bought the coach. Once we cleared the line, then it was fine.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

rheo1
Explorer
Explorer
yes, we've used the outside shower, and the knobs are shut off. It was doing this before I even hooked up the hose to the outside shower to rinse off the grandkids coming back from the beach.
Rheo1

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
have you ever used the outside shower????

(OR in many cases the indoor shower)

Many times when we get complaints like yours it is found that the outside (or less often the inside) shower was used and the cut off in the shower head was shut off but the mixing valves were left OPEN. Closing the mixing valves fixes the problem.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

nelson
Explorer
Explorer
If it is not the bypass valve check the outside shower
2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect