cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Compring manufacturer quality

Brylske
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering purchasing a small Class C. I found the right size and floor plan at two different dealers. They are identical except one coach was built by Thor and the other by Tiffin. The Tiffin dealer says their build quality far exceeds Thor and it will be realized on resale. Is that true or is it BS? Frankly, I couldn't see any dicernible difference between the two units. Also, would love to hear about any experience dealing with Gander. It scare me that they're affilitation with Camping World.
9 REPLIES 9

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Gander Mountain IS Camping World. Be smart, save yourself a lot of grief and frustration, and buy somewhere else.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Not sure why this is in the tech forum, but whatever. Tiffin is the better quality motorhome. And as per usual you get what you pay for. Thor is typically a cheaper unit in price and quality. Thor just bought Tiffin so we will wait and see what happens with quality and support. Besides differences in quality, you will also want to consider capacity/weight etc. These factors are different than how it was built, but more about how it will perform.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Brylske wrote:
I'm considering purchasing a small Class C. I found the right size and floor plan at two different dealers. They are identical except one coach was built by Thor and the other by Tiffin. The Tiffin dealer says their build quality far exceeds Thor and it will be realized on resale. Is that true or is it BS? Frankly, I couldn't see any dicernible difference between the two units. Also, would love to hear about any experience dealing with Gander. It scare me that they're affilitation with Camping World.

To a degree, it is a **** shoot on anything. I'm talking TT's, but they are all the same...in the end. My sales guy (at same place for 20 years) noted how things have changed over the last few years with an overall improvement in quality and in particular the last five or so years. He judges by what is sold and what the service department has to deal with after the sale. He did note some decline in overall quality (Attention to detail) this last year likely due to high demand but he noted from a brand standpoint, how things change. He noted he would NOT have bought an Aspen Trail (What I got) five years ago, but now they are having fewer issues than some of the more "high end" brands and few coming back. He did note that West Coast vs Midwest can differ. He noted over the last year a couple of brands the are having issues as in coming back in for things vs others where few do. He said, over time, this will change...

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Love the Tiffin class A motorhomes. Not so much their Wayfarer. Based on reviews I've seen, they are constrained by serious weight limitations that appear to take a toll in short order.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Thor now is the owner of Tiffin. I look for a solid fiberglass shower and surround with glass door, not a plastic 2 piece one. Look for appliances, furniture and TVs name brand, not LCI **** Furrion and Summit. Hydraulic slides and leveling jacks, not electric slides.

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
didn't Thor just buy Tiffin a few months ago?
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

Brylske
Explorer
Explorer
I know Tiffin has a great rep with Class A's. However, I found this article on the RV Consumer Group Forum. Seems they're now one and the same.

Will Thor Kill Tiffin?
By : JD Gallant December 28, 2020
RV Consumer Group Forum
https://rv.org/blogs/news/will-thor-kill-tiffin?comment=110136852666#comments
For sure, Tiffin brands will never be the same after Thor Industries has owned it for a few years. I know this because history tells all. The changes that Thor made to Dutchmen, Crossroads, K-Z, Venture RV, Keystone, Cruiser RV, DRV, Entegra, Heartland, Redwood, Starcraft, Venture RV, and Jayco for the most part, were not goodโ€”and now Tiffin is next in line. All of these were a mix of good and bad RV manufacturers when Thor Industries bought them hook, line, and sinker within the last ten years. According to RVCG database, as of January 1, 2021 Thor will own approximately 20 RV manufacturers and 187 RV brandsโ€”which is about one-third of the RV industry.
Whether you do or do not agree, if you look at some facts taken directly from our database on which we have recorded your opinions and ratings, youโ€™ll get some very important numbers that will tell you why Thor might kill Tiffin not so very slowly. And if you read all the comments as I do when we are getting the ratings ready for the next year, youโ€™ll get the real pictureโ€”be it good or bad.
Over the last 5 years, Thorโ€™s average score for all of their 187 brands has been 70.34โ€”with many brands getting a 2-star rating. On the other hand, the rest of the RV industry combined gets an average of 78.6โ€”which is a solid 3-star rating.
There are many reasons for the low opinion of Thor by RVCG membersโ€”and Iโ€™ve looked at them all. After extensive research into our own ratings and other consumer reviews, Iโ€™ve concluded that the primary reason is that Thor Industries is an investment company that cares not at all how a bad RV experience impacts the individual RV buyer.
If you want proof that Thor's decision-makers simply do not care, look at how Jayco has dropped 5 points in ratings since Thor purchased them in 2016. And then look at Thor Motor Coach and youโ€™ll quickly see that no one should buy any of these motor homes without putting them through an extensive checkup. Itโ€™s all in the RV Ratings Guide
My opinion is not optimistic that Allegro and other Tiffin brands will continue to get the consumer satisfaction that it received from Bob Tiffin. I believe that in less than 5 years Tiffin motor homes will be no better than brands now sold under the manufacturer Thor Motor Coach.
Itโ€™s up to you! Your ratings and your comments tell it all. With numbers in the thousands, the history of RV manufacturers becomes factual โ€“ they canโ€™t hide from it. When they cut quality, the consumers groan to us. We listen, we commiserate with you, then we publish your scores and judge accordingly.
Will your efforts and ours pay off in the end with better quality coming from Thor? We highly doubt it, but we can always hope.
END

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiffin has a very good reputation for both initial quality and after sale support. Thor, or at least some of its product lines no so much.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in doubt,,,,
go back and look at both,,,,
The most obvious is on wood.
Frames?????
Particle board Covered in shelf paper