cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

converter and start capacitor replacement

NanHenson
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my '96 Coachmen fifth wheel in 2007. In '09, maybe '10, I replaced the start capacitor. In '11, I replaced the converter. In '13, I replaced both the capacitor and converter again. Do I have something specific going on? Bad timing? Bad luck?
9 REPLIES 9

NanHenson
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
NanHenson wrote:
The old converter died. It was original equipment. I replaced it with a WFCO. I do not monitor my voltage. How should I do that?

Simple plug in monitor

OR install a surge protector with voltage protection and remote display
Progressive Industries.....30A or 50A LINK

The surge protector will test AC power, shutdown/reset on low & high voltages plus protect from surge and remote will display voltage

Next time you need to replace converter...check with these folks about upgraded converter to replace that WFCO....Best Converter

Thanks for that monitoring info. The WFCO was the one I just replaced this year. I did talk to Randy as everyone here recommended and he put me on to Progressive Dynamics model.

NanHenson
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
I was buying a RUN capacitor for our home A/C and went to a different shop than I got the failed one from. I mentioned the failed one didn't last very long. Counter person showed me the labeling and said it was a very low-rated part according to some spec that was on it. Showed me the rating on what they were selling and pointed out that it was higher. Ratings were in operating hours, like light bulbs. I like this new shop. Higher rated cap was half the price I'd paid before...

I'll have to check that out. The one I just installed was more expensive. I bought it at Camping World. The one that failed was from an A/C place, not a camper place. I went to CW with the failed one clutched in my hot little hand and they wouldn't replace it without the model number of the A/C. There was another 30 mile round trip I didn't want to make! But it was 95 out, so that's what I did.

NanHenson
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
WFCO has a two year warranty if that helps. I would get a different brand. What was the original or what is the model distribution center?

Can't help on start capacitor but I would be tempted to replace the entire unit at 17 years old.

Yeah, I was a couple months past the warranty date, sadly. I replaced it with a progressive dynamics.

You'd replace the A/C? That would hurt.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
NanHenson wrote:
The old converter died. It was original equipment. I replaced it with a WFCO. I do not monitor my voltage. How should I do that?

Simple plug in monitor

OR install a surge protector with voltage protection and remote display
Progressive Industries.....30A or 50A LINK

The surge protector will test AC power, shutdown/reset on low & high voltages plus protect from surge and remote will display voltage

Next time you need to replace converter...check with these folks about upgraded converter to replace that WFCO....Best Converter
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
I like this new shop. Higher rated cap was half the price I'd paid before...

Quality and knowledgeable people are real gems. Be sure to patronize them and spread their good name!

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was buying a RUN capacitor for our home A/C and went to a different shop than I got the failed one from. I mentioned the failed one didn't last very long. Counter person showed me the labeling and said it was a very low-rated part according to some spec that was on it. Showed me the rating on what they were selling and pointed out that it was higher. Ratings were in operating hours, like light bulbs. I like this new shop. Higher rated cap was half the price I'd paid before...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
WFCO has a two year warranty if that helps. I would get a different brand. What was the original or what is the model distribution center?

Can't help on start capacitor but I would be tempted to replace the entire unit at 17 years old.

NanHenson
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Electric/electronics can fail brand new......

And some electric/electronics are better than others.

Why did you have to replace converter and which one did you replace with....WFCO?

Do you monitor the 110V AC voltage?
Low & high voltage.....especially low can cause damage.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31