cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Curbside outlet not working on shoreline- work w/ generator

mikathi
Explorer
Explorer
I want to say right off the top, I'm not technically up on electrical terms, but understand how to make repairs.
The curbside electric outlets quit working today. All breakers and fuses are checked and are all fine. I unplugged the 50 amp shore line and started the generator. Now the curbside is working while the generator is running. Generator turned off, shoreline plugged back in, no power to curbside again. Okay, now here is the part that has me scratching my head. I was able to run my 50 amp shore line to our neighbors electric post, plugged in there. Now the curbside works, but the roadside is not working. I then tried the 30 amp step down plug and no power into motor home at all. This leads me to think there is a problem with my 50 amp plug itself or possibly the incoming power at the posts but don't understand why on my electric post the curbside is out and on my neighbors electric post the roadside is not working. Could one leg of my plug be not working? Then why the flip flop when I plug into neighbors electric post???
6 REPLIES 6

mikathi
Explorer
Explorer
Neighbor is running 30 amp not 50 and he's not home. His rig is dark. I just tested my post 50 amp socket. I have 120V on one side of the outlet and nothing on the other side. I'm beginning to agree that the issue is with the campground. No way of contacting anyone on Sunday. Just found out that the next three units are also having issues. We all run off the same main

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Does the neighbor have a 50A rig and is it all working?

The bad leg changing sides when using his post sounds more like the campground lost one leg, which happens to be on opposite pins between yours and the neighborโ€™s post.

Also, the 30A is probably on the same leg as the bad 50A one, at least in your site. Try the 30A on neighborโ€™s site or even the 20A in yours.

I should have picked up on this. Indeed, it does sound as if the campground lost one leg of the power.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

mikathi
Explorer
Explorer
Neighbors 50 amp. He's not home to see if his 30 amp is working, but I got nothing out of his 30 amp sockets when I plugged into it. I put a meter on my transfer switch. I have 120V on the black wire, nothing on the red wire.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the neighbor have a 50A rig and is it all working?

The bad leg changing sides when using his post sounds more like the campground lost one leg, which happens to be on opposite pins between yours and the neighborโ€™s post.

Also, the 30A is probably on the same leg as the bad 50A one, at least in your site. Try the 30A on neighborโ€™s site or even the 20A in yours.

mikathi
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a new transfer switch about one month ago. Along with a new converter. All wires into the transfer switch are tight, nothing loose. Do you know how the test the shore line with a multi meter?

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
You are only getting one leg of the 50 amp into the MH. It could be the plug, it could very well be the automatic transfer switch (I seem to read that they fail fairly often) and it could be a loose connection in the transfer switch or your panel inside.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.