cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DC inline fuse blows when battery power turned on

baseball
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Fun Finder with a DC power issue. I just replaced the battery because the dealer put a bad battery on the trailer. Anyway, when I go to turn on the DC power to trailer, it blows the inline 30 amp fuse. it is located on the negative side of battery. I have a plunger type switch to turn on/off DC power to cabin. the shore power works fine, but not sure it is recharging the battery. Any ideas on where to start will be appreicated. If you need more info to diagnose the problem, let me know.
Ernie
15 REPLIES 15

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
You hooked the battery up wrong and blew the reverse polarity fuses on the converter thus no power from the converter. Most likely did damage to other appliances too. You are lucky if you didnโ€™t blow the furnace, water heater, and refrigerator circuit boards too.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:

Best advice I've seen in this thread. I do not trust colors in RV's cause they are wired by ELECTRICIANS not AUTOMOTIVE technicians or Electronic Technicians (I'm cross trained so I know both Traditions but THERE IS NO STANDARD!!!)

I agree except that they are wired by folks that have no electricity in their own homes. ๐Ÿ™‚

Most of them do have electricity at home, and it is more similar to RV wiring than conventional wiring. 12V systems with solar or wind are very common among the Amish. I installed or helped with several systems based on cheap automotive headlight bulbs before LEDs became an option. They did a good job wiring, but didnโ€™t get the idea about voltage drop so tended to overload circuits and get dim lights.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 LOL

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

Best advice I've seen in this thread. I do not trust colors in RV's cause they are wired by ELECTRICIANS not AUTOMOTIVE technicians or Electronic Technicians (I'm cross trained so I know both Traditions but THERE IS NO STANDARD!!!)

I agree except that they are wired by folks that have no electricity in their own homes. ๐Ÿ™‚

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
Ignore wire color, there are too many "standards," and none of them are standard. Trace BOTH wires from the battery. ONE of them should go to the frame. THAT is the negative cable.

I have never, ever, seen a negative cable with a fuse or circuit breaker on it. I would bet money that the cable withOUT the fuse or circuit breaker is your negative cable.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ignore wire color, there are too many "standards," and none of them are standard. Trace BOTH wires from the battery. ONE of them should go to the frame. THAT is the negative cable.

I have never, ever, seen a negative cable with a fuse or circuit breaker on it. I would bet money that the cable withOUT the fuse or circuit breaker is your negative cable.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a multimeter and check which is positive and which is negative all the way through so you will know. Makes no difference what the wire color is.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
"the positive comes in and leaves on white wire from battery on top right."

White is negative!
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

baseball
Explorer
Explorer
ok. more info. i do not have any shore power to trailer. and the white negative is not connected to frame. it goes into a cover in the passthur space at from of cabin. taking cover off, there multiple wires connected via wire nut to the negative. if it is connected to frame, it must be somewhere back towards the rear. there is nothing close to the tongue.
Ernie

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Check the converter is getting 120vac in and should produce 13.5 vdc out.
Although if the battery is charged you should have 12.5+ volts in the DC fuse panel.

baseball
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Chris. i swapped them and now no blown fuse, but still no power to cabin. I went to fuse box and checked the two 30a fuses located at top of what i will call the DC distribution panel. no issues. the negative from battery connects to top left terminal on panel. the positive comes in and leaves on white wire from battery on top right. Right beside it is a red wire which the panel says is the positive from converter. when i put meter on the white and black terminals, there was not power. Could this be a bad converter??
Ernie

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Fuse is typically on a heavy black wire to the positive battery terminal.
Main negative connection is usually white and connects to the frame.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
baseball wrote:
Anyway, when I go to turn on the DC power to trailer, it blows the inline 30 amp fuse. it is located on the negative side of battery.

It's not a fuse but a circuit breaker, usually auto resetting, and it should be in the positive cable coming from the battery. Sure sounds like you've connected the battery backwards.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure that is a negative cable? Not sure why there would be a fuse there except maybe reverse polarity protection but have never seen it done that way. Trace the wire to the frame and make sure positive and negative are correct.