cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DEF fluid

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Is all DEF fluid the same? I usually buy the Blue DEF but it's now about $20. Our local hardware store has the Blue DEF and another one that is $12.99. I did buy the Blue DEF but just wondered if the cheaper one would be ok.
27 REPLIES 27

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Bad def at the pump is about as likely as bad fuel.
If one gets bad fuel, do you start buying fuel pre packaged in sealed containers?
Same difference.

Well, I didn't say it made the most sense......Aparenetly lying down in the snow to drain the DEF tank scarred my brother. My GMC has the DEF fill under the hood so packaged DEF is easy for me.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bad def at the pump is about as likely as bad fuel.
If one gets bad fuel, do you start buying fuel pre packaged in sealed containers?
Same difference.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many people have many different opinions on this subject. The only factual info I have regarding pump def is I know my brother got some bad def from the pump once(his computer told him on the dashboard) and had to drain it in the snowy parking lot. He now only buys jugged def. But you have to think that's an unusual case as millions of gallons of this stuff is used daily by long haul tractor/trailer rigs. Besides that, instance, I buy what cheapest at Tractor Supply or Walmart.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
deltabravo wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
From what I have read, expired DEF won't hurt your engine.

It's impossible for DEF to hurt an engine, because it is injected downstream of the engine, hence the reason it's called "Exhaust" fluid.

If you run out of DEF you could experience "no engine restart". Meaning the sensors keep you honest. I agree it's no harm to the engine but it could leave you stranded if you chose to ignore it.

I have been using the local auto stores brand of DEF (Fram in this case) in my former 2020 F350 and my current sprinter based class C. About half the price of Blue and never had an issue.

The irony is not missed on me that the plastic container DEF comes in is not recyclable. Glad we're saving the planet.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bionic Man wrote:
From what I have read, expired DEF won't hurt your engine.

It's impossible for DEF to hurt an engine, because it is injected downstream of the engine, hence the reason it's called "Exhaust" fluid.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Michelle.S wrote:
Or buy the Walmart Brand for $9 to $12 for 2 1/2 Gal.

DITTO!

I've been using the WalMart Supertech brand for 2.5 years in my 2.8L Duramax Colorado.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Allot of conjecture, theories and superstitions about something as simple and basic as def.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think everyone on this forum has a trailer? A great many of us have self propelled RV's (truck campers or motorhomes) therefore in our case there are no "tow vehicles" involved.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
hmmm I guess this toping that went to 6 pages of nothing in the tow vehicle forum (where it should beโ€ฆ)

But doesnโ€™t this assume that everyone who has a RV uses it to tow as well??โ€ฆI very much doubt that that is the caseโ€ฆ

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
I try to get it at truck stops. Cheaper and easier than handling the jugs. Keep an empty jug or 2 and fill back up at the truck stop so you have extra. I just paid around $4.00/gallon at Petro in central Missouri.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
ktmrfs wrote:
naturist wrote:
DEF formula is specified in Federal regulations. There is no allowance for any sort of "secret sauce." It is all the same, the only variation being the price they can sucker someone into paying for it. What's more, the only two allowed components are two of the cheapest chemicals known to mankind. Regardless of what you pay for it, somebody somewhere is making a killing.

The only caveat is to make sure that you get an unopened jug of it. There have been reports of cheapskates taking advantage of the return policy of some stores (WallyWorld, I'm looking at you) to return a jug full of tap water for credit. So before you head to the checkout, inspect the safety seal to make sure you get the real stuff.

Being somewhat anal about DEF, I have a DEF refractometer and check each jug. It shows the DEF concentration. Of course every jug I have tested has been spot on, but it should catch a jug that had been tampered with that had somehow been sealed up

I actually found a jug that had the inner seal removed at my local Wally World. I dipped a finger in and stood there like a fool for a few minutes to let it dry. Guess what? No white crystal residue on said finger. Took that jug to customer service, 'splained the issue, showed the evidence, and left them to figure out what to do with it. Hopefully saved some poor fool from getting the dread "incorrect fluid" message.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
hmmm I guess this toping that went to 6 pages of nothing in the tow vehicle forum (where it should be, along with the manifold thread) wasn't enough to answer they all have to meet the same minimum standard and all will work properly in your vehicle. No one is going to put extra urea in it as they would be reducing their profit margin and that might be harder on the engine. I would rather have one that has to low of a urea concentration as it would be less corrosive on internal exhaust parts, but sadly there is no difference aside from marketing departments
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
DEF formula is specified in Federal regulations. There is no allowance for any sort of "secret sauce." It is all the same, the only variation being the price they can sucker someone into paying for it. What's more, the only two allowed components are two of the cheapest chemicals known to mankind. Regardless of what you pay for it, somebody somewhere is making a killing.

The only caveat is to make sure that you get an unopened jug of it. There have been reports of cheapskates taking advantage of the return policy of some stores (WallyWorld, I'm looking at you) to return a jug full of tap water for credit. So before you head to the checkout, inspect the safety seal to make sure you get the real stuff.

Being somewhat anal about DEF, I have a DEF refractometer and check each jug. It shows the DEF concentration. Of course every jug I have tested has been spot on, but it should catch a jug that had been tampered with that had somehow been sealed up
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

naturist
Nomad
Nomad