cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV Challenge

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
As soon as the wife and I get Vaccinated (we hope by mid Feb), we are out of here. So I set up the DTV dish, run the cable into the 5er and split the signal between the Genie and one small remote - genie in the living room and remote in the bed room. neither the DW or I am good with watching TV in bed and there is not enough room for a recliner.

So we would like to use the two recliners or couch in the living room to watch TV - say me with the remote for the genie and the TV on the wall and the DW watching her choice of programs on her laptop.

So DW just got a new laptop and really likes the screen on it. Is there a way to get the signal to the laptop from the little remote box so she can recline in the living room and watch TV on her lap top while I watch TV on the wall mounted TV? thanx
7 REPLIES 7

FrankoToo
Explorer
Explorer
HDMI port on a laptop is HDMI out only. Try looking into a HDMI video capture device that plugs into USB. You can then view the video using an app that works with the video capture device.

Just a thought.
FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Been spending a lot of time with google. It appears that apple has just decided to change from the lightning plug to a "much needed newer version :B " known as a USB-C plug.

So it looks like it is just time to get another pile of adapters.

Nope on the app. We are gonna watch what we want, when we want to, and without a boat load of commercials.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
missnmountains wrote:
Just log into it on the DTV website. You can watch any channels you subscribe to there. There is also a DTV app for your phones and tablets.

Ken

This is the correct answer.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Yes miss, we got that, However ya cannot watch recorded stuff, and those commercials are enough to drive a cranky person, you know where. No Genie type flexibility there.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Just log into it on the DTV website. You can watch any channels you subscribe to there. There is also a DTV app for your phones and tablets.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
To me the challenge is getting the tablet connected to the genie remote. So we are dealing with apple here and it has its own "peculiar" charging port and that is the only port on it. The other end of the peculiar plug in on the apple goes to the charging transformer that has the same apple peculiar plug. So I am not up to speed on this apple peculiar stuff.

Now we do have an older apple tablet that has the lightning port on it. do I dare plug a usb into the back of the genie remote an stick the lightning plug into the tablet??

side note. Both tablets go blue tooth to wife's headphones.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Will an HDMI cable to the laptop work? I use HDMI to connect my TV's to the Genie boxs.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE