cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish rec’r No Satellites found using new 2000w inverter

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
My Dish vip211z receiver worked fine off my old modified sine wave 400w inverter. Today at campsite, I tried to set it up using my new 2000w pure sine wave Renogy inverter. It keeps displaying after switch search “No satellites found” but I hear the rooftop auto dish searching. I switched over from an inverter only plug to shoreline generator and tried it and it works fine. What the heck my little 400w inverter allows my receiver to find the satellites and the expensive 2000w pure sine wave inverter doesn’t?? I guess I will call Renogy or Dish? Any ideas?
30 REPLIES 30

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used a PSW and had no problems.. I've heard radios around an MSW (Nasty) Ther are assorted other things however.. If the antenna is MOUNTED and you can reposition the inverter that might help.

I've also seen cases where moving the antenna if a ground mount. or the entire RV if a roof mount. made a BIG difference.

Download the Winegard sat finder app and make sure when the bullseye is centered on the screen you see SKY and not TREES.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
That can happen although we have a different Winegard dome, when moving from one location to another the receiver may stay stuck on last setup. For the most part once we plug into shorepower, generator, or inverter our sat. dome and receiver automatically sets up. As long as receiver turns on I would not consider it a power source issue, we have used our sat. dome/receiver, and all our A/V equipment on MSW inverters without issue. On the rare occasion it does not set up properly, I will get remote and manually set location, dome reconfigures and all is well.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Try this, disconnect the SAT IN coax and then try to run the "Check Switch" routine. It should then tell you it couldn't find any satellites do you want to save these settings? select yes.

Now reconnect the SAT IN coax, select southern California and re-run the "Check Switch" routine. It should show the proper satellites 110-119-129 and the switch routine number. Your receiver should work now.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It could have just not stored your last input as to your location.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
What roof top automatic dish do you have? Could be an issue with it's programing.

Winegard PathwayX1. Working fine this morning. Left dish receiver connected to inverter last night.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Disconnect the Coax from the back of the receiver for the Out to Sat.

Plug in to the Inverter. Take a short (12 inch) coax and screw onto the Out to Sat coax output of the receiver. Use a Multimeter set on DC. There should be a pulsed 13 to 18 volts signal (alternating from 13 to 18 and back). SEE if you get that voltage on Inverter. The Inverter may be sending a "bad" 120 volt to the receiver and the receiver cannot process that to the 13-18 dc volt output. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What roof top automatic dish do you have? Could be an issue with it's programing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Review
So the receiver always turned on and went to switch testing screen and after 15 minutes came up with No satellites found. Tried wiping off dish, changing cords, receptacles and checked inverter output. Everything was ok. Changing location from Southern California where I am to Northern California got it working to locate satellites and load programming. I was in Yosemite last week and tried to get a sat signal in the CG but too many trees. I did use Northern California but when I got home last Thursday,I reset it using Southern California. It was on Southern California here.

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, this is crazy! I just tried using Northern California instead of Southern California and it worked! Only thing is I’m in Ventura California and definitely in Southern California..
Now it’s working! Not sure why and it may be the receiver and not the inverter.

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Verify 120 volt output from the inverter to the receiver receptacle.
Reset the receiver by unplugging from 120 volts for 10-15 seconds

Did that 118.5v and unplugged many times trying different inverter outlets. Still activates rooftop dish but finds no satellites.. plug into 110v receptacle off Ginny and works fine.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 for running something soft like and incandescent light at the same time to see if that has any effect.

Or run the satellite on the 400 while the TV runs on the 2000 and see if that works.

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps the inverter is interfering with the sat signal. Turn the inverter on and power something else. Then connect the sat to shore power and see if it works. It must be an interference issue, if the receiver powers up it should work.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

Check polarity, it’s correct. Checked voltage 118.5vac and 59.9hz. Not making any sense is it?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Is it a pure sine wave inverter, so electronics do not like power that is not

Yes the new. 2000w inverter is pure sine wave and old 400w that worked was a modified.