cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DOMETIC FAILURE!

lkhbutler
Explorer
Explorer
Went out to my Dutchmen RV and looked around, and noticed this. The thermostat was not readable in the right top of the round display. Almost like a child with an etch a sketch had drawn on it. Cover in place no other damage just the display. So if you have not looked at yours since storage might want to take a look! Unit is under two years old and they gave me this response! PISS POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE !!! Between Dometic and Lippert not sure who is worse! They both sell junk that will not last the warranty period and will not make it right!

DOMETIC RESPONSE:
Dometic has reviewed your request for warranty authorization and would have to respectfully decline at this time. Dometic's warranty covers manufacturing defects and from the picture this does not appear to be a manufacturing defect.

19 REPLIES 19

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can think of a few things that can cause that.. including but not limited to.

Viral infestation (I mean a biological virus that like to live in areas of low current electricity). Impact damage or dirt on the display.. I do not think it is dirt on the display.

Defective workmanship is not on the list, but defective MATERIALS are... Dometic should not have declined without having the unit where it can be examined by someone who understands these thigns far better than I... Cause my odds on favorite on that list.. IS "Defective materails". which is warranted.

Also you said this turkey is only 2 years old... You might want to cite the Uniform Commercial Code at 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I sent them your pic and asked for a reevaluation of their denial. Doug

This is Dometic's response. You have to go to your dealer or service center to do this. They will not deal with you directly on a warranty issue. Doug

"The area of question and the wall panel color matches the picture previously submitted. If you would get the customer information, model and serial of the air conditioner, DOP and unit information we could see about replacing this t-stat as a goodwill".

Sincerely,

Dometic Corporation

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
skipnchar wrote:
So what was the warranty period on the RV? If it's still under warranty they MIGHWT fix it but I can see their side also, the furnace (I assume you're talking about a furnace) would still operate with a cloudy view plate. This would lilkely support the "cosmetic repair" or "wear issue" opinion from ANY manufacturer. I'd remove the cover and take the viewing window out and cover it with clear tape and put it back together.

The warranty is 2 years as a OEM installation. I will send the new pics to Dometic. This all happened at Dometic on Thursday and I find it incredible that 2 different people had the exact same problem and contacted Dometic within a few days with pics. If aftermarket INSTALL or Dealer Install, the warranty is one year on the tstat, but still 2 years on the Roof unit. The problem people have, instead of following NORMAL correct warranty procedure, they attempt to do it themselves. From this post, you see the result. If he had returned to his service center, there would have been NO problem with warranty change out. To the OP, did you give them the Model and Serial of the roof top unit? Doug

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
So what was the warranty period on the RV? If it's still under warranty they MIGHWT fix it but I can see their side also, the furnace (I assume you're talking about a furnace) would still operate with a cloudy view plate. This would lilkely support the "cosmetic repair" or "wear issue" opinion from ANY manufacturer. I'd remove the cover and take the viewing window out and cover it with clear tape and put it back together.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
beemerphile1 wrote:
Here's your picture;

You must be very unhappy. Three of your last four posts have been complaints about something. I hope things improve for you.

lkhbutler writes "What are you talking about? Not sure Im following you? This is what was sent!?"

The picture that beemerphile1 posted for you definitley SHOWS several PHYSICAL SCRATCHES, two scratches right beside the FURN on the display AND TWO scratches right where the CLOCK TIME (which isn't set), one right above the LAST TWO -- and one BELOW the last two --.

Pretty darn good case that SOMETHING HIT the display, I don't blame Dometic for NOT warrantying something that has at least FOUR good scratches in the display.

Sorry, I don't think you have a case here, perhaps just buy a new one and move on...

lkhbutler
Explorer
Explorer
Here are pictures i took on 3/6/14 @ 6:47PM EST don't see the gouge they "indicated" existed.. not sure or who's rig they are talking about?

lkhbutler
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing has touched it! It has been cold here but how do you protect the t-stat from the cold? Seems like it should be able to handle days of below freezing temps! Not sure what he is talking about as to cropped pictures if he knew something about computer forensics he could look at the meta data embedded in the photo and one see the day it was taken what equipment took the photo and also see that it is not a cropped photo. Give me a break! Oh yea my RV was not broken into either and was not vandalized either or fall off a bridge in the ocean...

Captain_Obvious
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like it sustained impact or freeze damage. Dougrainer's post substantiates that theory.

EDIT: did a little research and found this very informative page on diagnosing a liquid crystal display for damage.

Diagnosing an LCD

Although your fridge's display is monochrome and the document is for color LCDs, the concepts and technologies are pretty much the same.

lkhbutler
Explorer
Explorer
What are you talking about? Not sure Im following you? This is what was sent!?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
lkhbutler wrote:
Anyone out there have any friendly contacts with any customer support/management with Dometic? love to talk with someone who cares!

I DID and DO. They remembered you. They then informed me that your original pics (NOT the cropped pic you showed here) showed wall damage right by the Tstat and they believe something fell against the wall and the LCD display causing that damage, so they declined coverage. Doug

lkhbutler
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone out there have any friendly contacts with any customer support/management with Dometic? love to talk with someone who cares!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Please post the larger area pics you sent Dometic. You know, the ones that show the gouges in the wall right below the tstat like something fell into the wall and tstat that might have caused the damage on the LCD screen? There is MORE to this story than the OP has stated. Doug

lkhbutler
Explorer
Explorer
The blue is the back light on, I looked it over can't see where anything could get behind the screen.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic is based in Solna, Sweden. Lippert is a "multi-state, multi-facility organization".

Just wondering, are the lines of stuff you see in the display actually blue in color or is the background lighting making it appear blue? If it's really sorta silk looking and whitish-translucent in color, might it be a spider web? I have a thermostat in my house that a spider built a web in and it's been years but I still can't get it out of there because it's semi sealed and only a little spider can get in.