cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Refridgerator Repair - Might Help Someone

jwilson32
Explorer
Explorer
Just thought I'd pass this information on to someone with the same issue. I have a standard 2 door Dometic fridge that was not cooling. All of the lights worked and the "check" light never came on. It seemed the cooling unit wasn't working. A guy told me to take a 12" 2x4 or something wooden and lightly tap on the coils using a hammer. I did so and viola, it started working!

Of course your mileage may very, but it's worth a shot before replacing the cooling unit...
Jordan Wilson
02' Coachmen Cross Country Elite 354 DP
12 REPLIES 12

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
bbaker2001 wrote:
hey do whatever gets it working. mine quit, I laid hands on it and prayed, been working for another 11 yrs

How come you never read "Psychic wins lottery again and again" :@ Doug
For the same reason you never see "Upcoming Psychic Fair, you know where, you know when". ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
..and add 3 somersaults to the above.

A 2 1/2 gainer off a high cliff works too. Problem solved! :B
RVing since 1995.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Dont believe in psychic
but Do Believe.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
bbaker2001 wrote:
hey do whatever gets it working. mine quit, I laid hands on it and prayed, been working for another 11 yrs

How come you never read "Psychic wins lottery again and again" :@ Doug

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
yep thats a very temp repair, you need to look for a company that rebuilds them quick.

Yep all you've done is to knock loose some of the blockage temporarily. I had the same issue and did the same thing with the same results which within a year the unit had to be replaced. Your frig is on it's last legs IMO and the above advice is sound to prevent total failure at the most inopportune time.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
then drive over it back and forth three times, and say good by. or take it to the repair shop in shipshewana Indiana.they rebuild them better than new.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
..and add 3 somersaults to the above.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When it starts not cooling again take it out and roll it end over end several times then turn it upside down for 24 hrs. after which turn it rightside up for 24 hrs.

Above is 'other' band-aid cure.....
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yep thats a very temp repair, you need to look for a company that rebuilds them quick.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jwilson32 wrote:
Just thought I'd pass this information on to someone with the same issue. I have a standard 2 door Dometic fridge that was not cooling. All of the lights worked and the "check" light never came on. It seemed the cooling unit wasn't working. A guy told me to take a 12" 2x4 or something wooden and lightly tap on the coils using a hammer. I did so and viola, it started working!

Of course your mileage may very, but it's worth a shot before replacing the cooling unit...

It may be "working". BUT, that is a subjective term. Tapping on a cooling unit with a rubber mallet or a 2 x 4, will NOT make a cooling unit operate to spec. Do a temp test with a glass of water in the lower section for 24 hours. After 24 hours get the temp of the water in the glass. It will NOT be below 40 degrees which means the cooling unit is indeed partially blocked. Doug

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Neat tip, thanks.