cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drop in voltage with increase in heat

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right now at 9:30 pm it is 91 outside ad 75 inside and voltage meter is right at 115. It will go up to118-120 later....but in the heat of the day 110 or so the voltage goes down to 110 or so and we won't use the convection/microwave oven etc as it drops down to 105 or so.
That is on the generator or on 50 amp plug in.
Anyone have an idea what to investigate, a fix?
I'm not sure how long this has been the situation...but I don't remember encountering it in years past.
We did replace the front roof heat pump late last year with a little larger capacity pump.
11 REPLIES 11

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well...The transfer switch is not working. Gen runs but no power so..we ordered one from factory. Nearly 500.00 and 4 to 6 days. Way too much

On edit Canceled order switch was off. Freightliner must have not have ripped the breaker all the way and it turned off or was never turned back on.
Now on full load of acs etc and the meter is in middle of the green.
Why I didn't think of this before, is stupifying.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
What's a bit concerning is the voltage is dropping while on the generator.
x2
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is the possiblity of a poor connection some where .. Recommendation is to use your voltmeter at as many test points as you can starting with the generator's output connection box or outlet.

But as the heat rises. pressure in the A/C increases In fact there are charts that tell you how much.. As the pressure rises the compressor works harder and harder to pump the refrigerant through the lines.
Now there are two (really several) types of electric motors for this post
Series and Shunt wound
Series (As I recall. note I may be mistaken) as the load increases the motor slows down a bit. as it slows down it draws more and more and more current. The starting current oh these can be downright impressive

The other type attempts to run the same speed no matter what
But again the harder it works the more current it draws.

So it does not matter which type the Compressor is... As the pressure increases. SO DOES THE CURRENT DRAW.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
After reading your replies it strikes e that the only common source of electrical power is the transfer switch. Hopefully it is only a loose connection. Not much chance of corrosion here in 110 heat

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
No expert but I think all the above answers maybe correct. Depends on the generator/altitude etc. Std hard line hookup will reduce power when park/city loads increase .. air conditioners tend to demand more when temps are higher .. and my generator tends to put out less when I am at higher altitude. Loose wire connection will create similar issues. Combo of high temp and high altitude put close to max on my last trip.
Kevin

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Loose wire connection onboard your RV. Time to do some tightening.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
For shore power, voltage sag mid day and resultant increase in amperage drawn, that's pretty normal. If it's dropping below 110v, an autoformer is a great option unless it's extreme.

What's a bit concerning is the voltage is dropping while on the generator. Ours doesn't change noticeably when on the generator and hangs at around 118v. (this is once it's running, obviously, there is a surge for a second when it starts).
X2 Something is not right with the gen or wiring. Do you have 105V on both legs

That should be 115/120
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
For shore power, voltage sag mid day and resultant increase in amperage drawn, that's pretty normal. If it's dropping below 110v, an autoformer is a great option unless it's extreme.

What's a bit concerning is the voltage is dropping while on the generator. Ours doesn't change noticeably when on the generator and hangs at around 118v. (this is once it's running, obviously, there is a surge for a second when it starts).
X2 Something is not right with the gen or wiring. Do you have 105V on both legs?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
do NOT us the A/C below 109 volts.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi down home,

There is nothing to fix. It is perfectly normal for demand from the air conditioner to increase as temperature rises outside.

Mine start off at 1200 watts. By mid afternoon, on a hot day that increases to 1900 watts.

At the local campground, that causes the voltage to be lower than I'm comfortable with. I solve that with an autoformer.

You could, in theory, add one. But 110 is quite adequate to run the roof air. I've always believed that is better to not fix something that is not broken.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.