Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DUAL BATTERY CONNECTION

TWO_4_THE_ROAD
Explorer
Explorer
Hello:
I have two 6v batteries in my 5er that were installed a couple years ago. Yesterday while cleaning up the rig, I noticed that the batteries were connected in a strange way. the positive from on battery is connected to the negative of the second batteries and the neg of the 1st is connected to the pos of the 2nd. Does this seem right? I haven't had any electrical problems but it just seemed strange.
any comments?
07 Forestriver Flagstaff 8528GTSS, 07 Chev,2500hd, D/A, , 2000 Mitsubisi Eclipse. ,DW Kathy,DD Maggie
15 REPLIES 15

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
tells once again people don't even bother to read a post before they make a stupid comment on it !
That or else a lot of stupid people that don't know how to wire a simple series parallel
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
He's gone, and no, they aren't connected that way.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Should only be one connection between batteries. Good info here:
12 volt side of life

"Maybe" the OP didn't relate his "set-up" clearly or correctly!

"Maybe" the replies didn't take that into consideration -or- maybe they didn't relate the solution clearly or correctly.

The link (with diagrams & info) does both !!

Can't beat that with a pogo stick as a "jumper"..:W

~

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I missed the second interconnect

You connect negative #` to ground Positive to Negative #2 positive #2 to house power.

I think you mis-read the positive 2 lead's other end.

I run a mix of 4 different batteries here
one 6Vpair
one each group 27-29-r31 Alas the store was otu of 31s
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I doubt they are wired as you describe. Please post a picture.
Basically if it is working... then it is wired correct.

Be very careful or get assistance if you replace those batteries to get the new ones wired right.

I agree, as I read it, it should be melted. Many years ago after a graveyard shift I decided to hook my second battery up in my boat. I was very tired and I should have got some sleep first. As soon as turned my selector switch to both batteries it blew 100A fuse and melted the post off the battery. Basically I did what I am reading here. 2 volt batteries cross wired. It would be nice to see some pictures. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I doubt they are wired as you describe. Please post a picture.
Basically if it is working... then it is wired correct.

Be very careful or get assistance if you replace those batteries to get the new ones wired right.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
And if you have (4) 6 volt batteries (series/parallel) you now have 4 quarters of a single 12 volt battery. ๐Ÿ˜›

TWO 4 THE ROAD: There is nothing wrong with your way of thinking. Some people just have a different concept of things.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
TWO 4 THE ROAD wrote:
Hello:
I have two 6v batteries in my 5er that were installed a couple years ago. Yesterday while cleaning up the rig, I noticed that the batteries were connected in a strange way. the positive from on battery is connected to the negative of the second batteries and the neg of the 1st is connected to the pos of the 2nd. Does this seem right? I haven't had any electrical problems but it just seemed strange.
any comments?

Is this right: Absolutely
What is wrong is your thinking. You do not have "Two 6volt batteries IN the RV. I know that's what they are when you pull 'em out but when they are IN the RV you have two halves of a single 12 volt battery..

So they are wired as below (Equals signs represent wire)

Chassis/ground==== -{6V}+==-{6V}+=== 12 volt to motor home

How does this work.. 6+6 = 12

DO NOT ADD AMP HOURS.. These batteries are about 220 (Give or take a bit) amp hour DEEP CYCLES. but when you add them in this manner they are still 220 you can safely use about half that (a bit over 1KWH)

Now when you wire 12 volt "Jars" together You do it differently but I won't go into that to avoid confusion.

But what you have is a single 12 volt Battery... In two parts.

At least electrically.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
TWO 4 THE ROAD wrote:
Hello:
...the positive from on battery is connected to the negative of the second batteries and the neg of the 1st is connected to the pos of the 2nd.

That would create a brief, but entertaining, show - the correct way to connect two 6V batteries would be from the chassis ground to the negative terminal of battery 1, the positive terminal of battery 1 to the negative terminal of battery 2, then the positive terminal of battery 2 to the power bus that supplies power to the 12V loads.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Should only be one connection between batteries. Good info here:
12 volt side of life
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Do you mean they have criss-crossed links?

That is how I read it, doesn't make sense.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds correctly wired.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
There should be only ONE interconnect between the batteries (positive of one to negative of the other).

And the wires from batteries to the RV--

The positive should come off one battery positive

The negative should come off the other battery negative.

Neither wire to house from either battery's interconnection.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you mean they have criss-crossed links?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.