Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DVR option for Fulltimers with Home base

luvdoggiez
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,

DW and I have a home base in Sacramento California. We have had Uverse for a while, but will be cutting the cord, at least sort of. We will be continuing to have a home base here in Sacramento and retaining our DSL/Highspeed internet service at our home base. We will be getting rid of the TV portion. We are not fans of DISH, DirecTV or any other cable service. We will be using Over the air (OTA) antenna to get our local channels and we are going to use WATCHTV or SLING or some other option for back filling some of our other channels like Animal planet when we are at home. We would like a suggestion for a DVR set up that we can use for recording some of our local programming so that we can watch those recordings when we are on the road. We have an older Magnavox unit that we could use, but we can only watch it's recordings in the Livingroom where we would put the DVR. We were considering either a TABLO or AIRTV unit with a hard drive to serve as a DVR. We currently have Chromecast nodes on each TV in the rig. We are wondering if anyone else has been down this road and if you have any suggestions for us.

Thank you in advance for your advise.

Safe Travels all!

Eric and Carol Anderson.
Fulltiming with two great Pit Bulls.
2003 Allegro Bus 40DP that we absolutely love! ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Blog
5 REPLIES 5

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an OTA Tivo at my house, and TIVO app on my phone. i can stream from my home to my phone, to my TV while on the road.

gsander1
Explorer
Explorer
Eric, yes. We use the Verizon hotspot and/or the AT&T connected car device to support the Tablo schedule updates.
George in Birmingham, AL
03 Country Coach Magna

luvdoggiez
Explorer
Explorer
gsander1 wrote:
I have a Tablo at home and one on the coach. We cut the cable a few years ago and use Sling to provide for my college football addiction and other cable programming. We stream Netflix, Amazon and Hulu using Roku devices on each of the TVs. Wifi is supplied using Verizon hotspots and AT&T connected car device all with unlimited data.All works great for the last 4 years.

Hey George, Do you use the Verizon hotspot in the rig then to serve as your way to get channel updates to your Tablo when you are on the road?

Thank you in advance for your additional insight.

Eric
Fulltiming with two great Pit Bulls.
2003 Allegro Bus 40DP that we absolutely love! ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Blog

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I know you specifically said you did not want to do this, but here's what works for us:

Dish Hopper on the home TV, with essentially unlimited DVR capabilities, and will also record my OTA channels there.

Then Dish mobile app, which allows me to watch all the channels on my Dish, and also to work the DVR -- play it, add to the schedule, etc.

Running the app on my iPad and Verizon wifi is how I watch out-of=area football and hockey games when out on the road, plus keep current on my local news.

gsander1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tablo at home and one on the coach. We cut the cable a few years ago and use Sling to provide for my college football addiction and other cable programming. We stream Netflix, Amazon and Hulu using Roku devices on each of the TVs. Wifi is supplied using Verizon hotspots and AT&T connected car device all with unlimited data.All works great for the last 4 years.
George in Birmingham, AL
03 Country Coach Magna