cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ECOWISE Voltage regulater fault UPDATE

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE Repaired under warranty. Once I managed to contact the manufacturer things went well. They emailed me a prepaid shipping label, (I had to buy a shipping box) and shipped via Estafeta to Mexico City. Lots of emails back and forth and the unit was returned prepaid. However, lots of running around at this end: Estafeta couldn't find my friends house, which has only been there for 15 years or more. Finally my friend picked it up at the Estafeta office this afternoon.

Meanwhile the Sola Basic I bought sort of worked. It's normal voltage ranges about 112 Volts. Down to 108 or lower when the AC comes on. Switches too slowly to prevent my Xantrex Inverter from cutting incoming power due too low voltage. At the moment we're in Puerto Vallarta where we don't need the air conditioning and the often too high voltage is managed OK by the Sola Basic.

Now I have two voltage regulators. Maybe try to sell one when we come back down in the fall.

Anyone know anything about this unit?

Last year (and in previous years) we have also had problem with high voltage overnight and sometimes, during the afternoon when the demand is high, with low voltage. We looked into various voltage regulation devices and last year on the way home, in Mazatlan we purchased a high tech electronic one.

Back at home in Canada I wired in the required cables and plugs and tried it out when we got here (Zihuatanejo, Mexico) in November. It worked great! The inverter did not have to interfere once, holding the voltage at 118V even when the incoming voltage rose to above 130.

Until one day the lights flickered a few times and the inverter came on. Investigation showed that though there was acceptable voltage at the post there was no output voltage. The indicator lamp was flashing a code which the manual stated showed short circuit in the output. Disconnecting the output, so there was no out connection, the same code showed. I am hoping a transient didn't take something out. I have no diagnostic equipment with me other than my eyes, nose and DMM. Nor a circuit diagram either of course.

I have since ordered a SOLA BASIC 4000 autotransformer that should be here in a week but I would like to get the ECOWISE repaired. I'll check with Home Depot in Mazatlan in March and see if there is a repair facility nearby or even hopefully it might still be under warranty. The SOLA BASIC has a one year warranty so maybe the ECOWISE will.
13 REPLIES 13

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mexican wiring HOOT

I remember a tour of the then brand new Gran Bay Hotel in Barra de Navidad.

The crowning glory

The Three Thousand DOLLAR a night Presidential Suite

Still under construction...

Contractor grade receptacles

15 gauge yellow and blue wires.

Ground? We don't need no steenking ground!

But there was a waist-high television directly across from the toilet.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Canadian Rainbirds,

Did you ever get the ECOWISE unit repaired?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
CR,

Any idea what the line voltage is when running the heat pump? Perhaps the Sola is boosting from 100 volts?

The lowest we have seen it today was 107, when the heatpump was running BOTH compressors, drawing 26 Amps. At the moment it's at 126V. If I were to put the Sola Boost on it would drop to about 112. Which is where it was yesterday with a line voltage of about 127.

Thanks to Mexican wiring, there is a 15A duplex outlet along side of and on the same 30A breaker as the 30A outlet so I can have the power cord to the rig and a plug in analog volt meter on at the same time.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
CR,

Any idea what the line voltage is when running the heat pump? Perhaps the Sola is boosting from 100 volts?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
12,000 BTU makes 1 ton ice in 24 hours. You would appear to have 24,000 BTU
Heating vs cooling may have different BTU rating.

Thanks! I learned something today!

A ton or two of Ice would come in handy here today. I've shut the heatpump off for fear of killing it until hear back from Airxcel. Officially 29C (84.2F) here today, temp alongside the rig in the shade is 89F Inside 82 and climbing.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi CR,

I could not get the voltage high enough to cause my sola basic to buck the voltage. I applied 130 volts (no load on the sola, other than a volt meter).

The boost is also different for me--with the Sola cutting in quite quickly before the compressor has even spun up to speed.

I would guess that whoever set your Sola up at the factory did not do their job correctly. I wonder if that is end user changeable? (if it is I'd move the 2nd layer of boost up to 104 volts from 100).

Canadian Rainbirds wrote:

Also, the Sola Basic was very disappointing. I have taken it out of circuit. It bucks even when the incoming voltage is 125 and drops it to anywhere between 109 and 112 volts. When the compressor kicks in it is too slow to catch up with the voltage drop and the Inverter either inverts (165 amps from the batteries) or interrupts the power. Sometimes it starts the heatpump OK and then the voltage holds at 115 or so.

Even when line voltage is low it seldom boosts above 112VAC under minimum load though occasionally I have seen it at 117.
Regards, Don

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
12,000 BTU makes 1 ton ice in 24 hours. You would appear to have 24,000 BTU
Heating vs cooling may have different BTU rating.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

How many btu's is the heat pump? My air conditioner is 13,500.

Can you wire around the prosine easily?

Can't find anything in the heat pump specs about BTUs. It is listed as a 2 ton heap pump whatever that means.

I can bypass the Prosine easily but only by taking it completely out of circuit, which I don't want to do as that is my over/under voltage protection.

Also, the Sola Basic was very disappointing. I have taken it out of circuit. It bucks even when the incoming voltage is 125 and drops it to anywhere between 109 and 112 volts. When the compressor kicks in it is too slow to catch up with the voltage drop and the Inverter either inverts (165 amps from the batteries) or interrupts the power. Sometimes it starts the heatpump OK and then the voltage holds at 115 or so.

Even when line voltage is low it seldom boosts above 112VAC under minimum load though occasionally I have seen it at 117.

If the line voltage is low <108 it is sometimes too slow to boost and I get the same result as above.

The tech at Airxcel told me that the hard start capacitors may have failed due to low line voltage. I can't check them because it seems that when I had a body repair done to the rig they got paint into the piano hinge that allows be to lift up the side panel to access the heat pump. I have tapped, shake and pulled and spayed with Liquid Wrench to no avail. If I pull any harder it will tear the hinges out or bend the panel. Just crossing fingers now hoping that I don't burn out the heat pump, inverter, or or both. :E

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

How many btu's is the heat pump? My air conditioner is 13,500.

Can you wire around the prosine easily?
Regards, Don

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's your plug (or the socket it plugs into), you could tell because it would be getting rather (or very) hot in use. A 10V drop at 10A means 100W dissipated by a little pin, which would make it resemble a heavy-duty soldering gun (especially as there isn't great heat dissipation encased inside plastic).

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
I think I found the problem with the EW50/1 A burnt component on the circuit board. I have sent an email to the manufacturer, waiting to hear

The component can be seen near the bottom of the fan.

The sola boost 400 still sent the inverter into Invert mode on compressor start up. I disabled Invert and heatpump didn't start even with the solar boost. The Prosine just blocked the AC IN even though I had temporarily set the Low AC cut off to 90V :E

I'm beginning to wonder if the suspect 50A plug is causing this large voltage sag, although the microwave runs fine and shows no sign of such a large voltage drop.

I suppose the fault could also be in the Coleman Mach heatpump. A am wondering about adding a hard start capacitor to it.:h

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sorry to hear of the failure and the difficulties.

The Sola Basic won't keep you dead on 118 volts. It does boost at 110 (10%), 100 (20%), and 90 (30%) volts. At 110 I "see" 118 to 121. I've never observed the 100 or 90 volt boost numbers. The unit acts fast enough that boost is applied before the compressor and fan motor on the air conditioner have spun up to speed. I can hear the difference in fan speed when it drops out of boost mode.

The Sola drops out of boost some where around 113 to 114 volts, observed inside the RV with a Kill-a-watt meter. It appears to start boost at 107 or 108 volts.

You can hear relays click on the Sola if it is in a quiet enough enviroment.

It bucks 10% at 135 volts. I had no way to "force" the sola into buck mode, so I don't know the actual voltages.

I hope to add better than average surge in the near future. Mexacowander has made up a unit for me and now I'm waiting on his travels to allow for shipping via post.

I do recommend a plain jane surge device be used in parallel with the input on the Sola. What I am using now for surge is similar to the Progressive and Surge guard units--but at 1/50 the cost. Series might be slightly safer to do--but then the components of the surge device need to handle 30 amps of through put. That becomes costly.
Regards, Don

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The operator's manual states that the unit has a one year warranty. AFAIK, Home Depot will not offer any repair services, choosing to refund your money or replace the item. YMMV.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton