cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Jack

engine31
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all just a quick question that I am sure someone out there will know the answer to.
The electric jack on the TT stopped working yesterday for some unknown
reason I was lowering the TT onto the ball and just as contact was made there was a loud pop like metal whacking metal sound. The jack would no move electrically after that. Two toggle switches on from of jack right for lift/lower & left for post lite. ( lite still works ).
The jack moves freely with the hand crank. How or where do I go to check the unit itself.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the ground connection. Some jacks are grounded via the mounting bolts and serrated washers that bite into the metal. The light won't draw much current but with a bad ground, it won't supply the current needed by the motor.

Sometimes all you need to do is simply tighten up the bolts and I would try that first. Could also be a faulty mini circuit breaker supplying the jack.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Take it apart and check the pin that holds the gear.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
gear broke
motor failure.

based on the Loud pop

may want to contact manufacturer of Jack.. for service/repair.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
engine31 wrote:
Two toggle switches on from of jack right for lift/lower & left for post lite. ( lite still works ).
The jack moves freely with the hand crank. How or where do I go to check the unit itself.

Since the light still works the tongue jack is obviously still receiving power, since it can be operated manually the gear assembly is also fine. Based on your description I'd suspect the lift/lower switch has failed, the obvious solution being to replace it.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380