cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical mystery

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Today I had a mechanic come to me to do some wheel bearing work. Put the slides in and all was well. When he finished, I went to put one of the slides out and it's no go. Fortunately I had a mechanic handy, and he checked the switch and discovered there is no power to the switch. Using a jumper from another switch that had power, we were able to move the slide. So, obviously no power from fuse panel to switch. Fuses all good. Wire from switch disappears into the wall and somehow makes its way to the fuse panel along with all the other wires in the switch panel. No signs of mice, or any particular reason to think a screw pierced the wire somewhere along the line, but I guess it is possible.
Trying to trace the wire would probably require removing cabinets, cutting holes, etc. to try and find the problem.

The mechanic pigtailed power to the switch so all is working. Guess I will never know unless I start tearing things apart, unless someone has any ideas....!
14 REPLIES 14

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
"I did that a few years back only it was not a 30 amp get it at the auto parts store fuse, it was a 200 amp "T" fuse costing $60.00"

T fuse? Never heard of it. Fuse I took out looks exactly like the other fuses in the fusebox, typical flat blade auto fuse. Educate me-I always like to learn something new!

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those little colored fuses are supposed to be easy to detect when blown. It may be discolored or the strip of metal inside shown as broken.
I've noticed and done it too, pulling everyone of them just about until I found the bad one when all that might be required is to look at them good.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
My new in 2008 fiver blew a slide-out fuse in 2009. Have had no problem with the slides since then. Maybe you won't either. Keep extra fuses on hand, just in case.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyB wrote:
Could be your mechanic accidentally zapped it... Most always is the last thing that was being down haha...

Glad you found it...

Roy Ken

I did that a few years back only it was not a 30 amp get it at the auto parts store fuse, it was a 200 amp "T" fuse costing $60.00
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would be going to circuit breakers instead of fuses.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Think I made it blow. Slide was a little sticky since it hadn't been moved in quite a while so I stayed on the switch until it decided to move. Live and learn!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some times just yo annoy you fuses fail.
Happened to the power company where I was parked, no power to half the park.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it just got tired and melted. Maybe it was marginal and the added load of extending made it blow, who really know and if the new fuse last for two or three years, who cares.

If it blows again soon, start trouble shooting, there are units that you can connect in place of the fuse, put a fuse in the tester and it'll give current flow during different operations. There are units that will remember the load on failure.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be your mechanic accidentally zapped it... Most always is the last thing that was being down haha...

Glad you found it...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Now the question is what made it blow in the first place ...?
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Roy was correct.

Found 2 30 amp fuses coming off the batteries. One of them was blown. Guessing one fuse for each of the larger slides, and the smaller fuse in the breaker box probably goes to the small slide.

Thank you again!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Slides usually have an auto resetting breaker someplace. It has probably failed or has loose/corroded connections.

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Roy,
There is nothing specifically listed in the fuse panel for the slideouts, although there is 1 12v fuse that is labeled "S/O Hitch". We assumed (right or wrong) that it is for the Slide Outs and the tongue jack. I'll take a look around the wiring coming off the batteries. Thanks.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a small fuse block mounted on the wall where the battery is located for my slide-out on my 5th wheel. Fuses are not in the 12VDC Distribution panel...

The newer trailers most likely will have reset type circuit breakers perhaps...

Check in the near vicinity of your batteries.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS