cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ez off oven cleaner

LI_Happy_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Had a really bad spill in my oven. Used EZ OFF oven cleaner on it. Got most of it out. Just want to know if this is safe to use? Not going to turn the oven on until I know for sure. Thank you in advance.
2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 Crew Cab DRW Golden Bronze Metallic
Reese 20K fifth wheel hitch
Firestone ride rite airbags
14 REPLIES 14

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zep Heavy Duty Oven cleaner. May need to do tough spots twice. No gloves, no going outside for an hour.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

maddczech
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend the baking soda. Totally safe ! Be patient with it, it will work.
Vinegar is also a good cleaner. Both are cheap and not harmful to skin or respiratory. Heck you can eat them !
Oven cleaners are caustic to skin. And fumes are toxic. There ought to be skull and crossbones on it.
I certainly would not put it near anything I eat.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Ez Off Oven Cleaner is sodium hydroxide in a paste form. I make my own from 100% sodium hydroxide (lye) drain cleaner and a little bit of corn starch and water added. Works exactly the same and the results are the same and I treat it with caution like it's Ez Off Oven Cleaner.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Works great for restoring cast iron pans by removing all the old crud. Have to re-season after.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Take every precaution to keep it from getting on your skin. It will seriously burn you especially if it gets on a softer part - like the inside of your arm. If you do get it on you rinse the area for at least 15 minutes in cold water. Even after that it can burn for hours.
I've used it to remove anodizing from aluminum parts, it's that strong.

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
When I do use oven cleaner, I will run the oven for an hour of so just to make sure all odors and any residual cleaner is gone.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
That is what it is intended for, we use it all the time at home, never need it in the coach yet but will when we do need it. We hardly ever use the oven in our coach.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Define safe.

Do you mean can this be used without hurting anyone? Yes, yes it can.

Do you mean is this something that CANNOT hurt anyone? Then no, no, absolutely no, it is not.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I used it for years....it's safe. However, save some smell and $$ and put an old washcloth or towel on bottom of the oven. Then pour some ammonia on it till the rag is saturated. Close the oven, let it set over night and it'll wipe clean the next day. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ I used to do that with a garbage sack for the burner trays and the oven racks in my stick built home. (I had a self-cleaning oven).

Oh -- first time you use the oven, it'll probably stink the house up...don't fear.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

LI_Happy_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your responses. Been doing this 15 years and still learning! Better to be safe than sorry!
2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 Crew Cab DRW Golden Bronze Metallic
Reese 20K fifth wheel hitch
Firestone ride rite airbags

westend
Explorer
Explorer
When I restored my trailer I looked online for the solutions for oven cleaning since it looked like I had years of mess to cleanup, some of it burnt black. I stumbled on a site that said to use wetted baking soda. I didn't think it would work but I tried it anyway since I had some. Turns out it works like a champ. The trick is to keep the powder damp, wet all the way through to the oven surface. After a week of spraying water on the soda, I was able to wipe clean the oven and the 40 years of grime.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Easy-Off for ... probably .... 50 years or so. Never had a problem with it. I works really great on outside grills and grilling utensils that get greased up and smoked black. Works great in every oven I've ever owned, camper and house.

Spray on, let it sit. Actually, let it sit till it turns to a power. Then just simply wipe clean. It take a day to dry out, but makes cleaning easy. You can wipe it off still wet, but you'll have a black nasty, soapy, greasy, yucky mess until it's all wiped out. Letting it dry and just use paper towel to wipe it out, works good, and minimizes the gooey mess. For more stubborn spots, just spray again, then use a scrubbie. The spot will be small and the mess won't be near as bad.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Not much difference in an oven in the home and an oven in the RV.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If it wasn't safe to use, do you really think they would be allowed to sell it,.....let alone make it ? I don't know, I'm just thinkin !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.