Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fan lid direction and covers

Germax
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

I am new to RV thing and I noticed that my 2008 Majestic 23A has strange vent configuration. Two vents that are in main space are passive and they open so that air when traveling is pushing lid down.
The Fan-tastic fan lid in washroom is in reverse direction. It acts as a scoop if one forgets to close it before moving.

--------> Travel direction / (Fan-tastic vent) \\ (other two vents)

I figured out that is just something that I must remember to close but now that I am looking for vent covers I am realizing that they will not work with that orientation.

So questions, is orientation for the fan lids matter of choice or was the person that installed my bathroom fan impaired?

I think I will have to rotate Fan-tastic fan if I have hope to find the lid that will allow it to open once installed.

What is best fan cover for Fan-tastic, I see some bad UV resistance reviews for the original covers.

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Germax
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I will be fixing this myself when the covers arrive.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The installer was impaired. His brain was installed backward. Get a qalified person to remove the fan and install it properly.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Your Fan was installed WRONG. The HINGE for the lid cover is facing FRONT, always. ALL RV's are this way. The reason The fan is reversed is because someone probably replaced the old roof and just plain installed it backwards. There is NO reason to install backwards. It will catch air when closed and in transit and will break the lid off if left open and in transit. Doug

Germax
Explorer
Explorer
I was just looking for confirmation that my fan was installed incorrectly. I do not think there is a cover large enough to allow me to leave fan facing the wrong direction as the covers try to be aerodynamic and low at the front.

MrWizard
opnspaces wrote:
I would buy a vent cover (Maxair or other) and cover the existing vent that is backwards. It will be much easier than removing and repositioning the existing vent

Yes he could do that, but the cover would have to be backwards to match the vent (scoop mode), or the vent lid will not open became the covers are curved,
That is what concerns him,

I think he was hoping to find a cover that would face rearward but be large enough to allow the reverse direction lid to open
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of Maxair.
At one time they made a 1200T roof vent. I put one on our 2001 mh, we traded it for a new mh in 2017, and I was going to put a new 1200T on it, and then found that the 1200T was no longer made.
I sure would like to find a nice used one.

Dusty

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I would buy a vent cover (Maxair or other) and cover the existing vent that is backwards. It will be much easier than removing and repositioning the existing vent
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Germax
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, It all works well but I think it suffered abuse scooping air. Arm slipped once off the lid rail and I had to get it back in place.

jkwilson wrote:
Look at it closely before moving anything. On my old pop up, the hinge side of the vent cover came loose and the vent still worked, but opened with the cover tilted the wrong way.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at it closely before moving anything. On my old pop up, the hinge side of the vent cover came loose and the vent still worked, but opened with the cover tilted the wrong way.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Germax
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I will have to see what it takes to remove it and reinstall it properly.

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Maxair makes a good vent cover that will allow vent lid to be left open when in motion AND when raining

I just ordered and installed three for my coach and believe it or not, Camping World was the cheapest with free shipping.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If not closed when moving it won't scoop for long as the wind will rip it off

YES it is backwards....who knows why?

Vent lids should face rearward

Maxair makes a good vent cover that will allow vent lid to be left open when in motion AND when raining
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31