cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FanTastic bathroom fan?? ((UPDATE)){{{UPDATE}}}}

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Have a bathroom fanTastic fan which has a 12v motor on it like this...

Fan Tastic Fan

I replaced the motor lift assembly about 3 months ago and fan worked fine opening and closing cover after flipping the switch... about 2 weeks ago I went to open the vent and the motor turned the knob about 3 turns and the vent opened about a inch or so and stopped. I had to turn the knob manually to open vent and have fan turn on. when I flipped the switch to close it nothing happened. Had to be closed manually... Same thing happens every time I go to use the fan...
I have 12 volts to the motor and thats about all I checked. Any suggestions as to what else could be wrong or what to check for?? I don't see any obstructions or anything in the way. The trailer is in the same location when the motor worked and when it stopped.
Thanks for any help.
21 REPLIES 21

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
When I replaced my motor the new one will not stay engaged with the motor gear so I need to just push up on the knob to keep it engaged till it's opened or closed. I can hear the motor running on mine can you hear your motor running or does it just shut off.

Motor only runs for the 2 or 3 turns that the handle turns and opens the dome about a inch or 2 and than the motor stops and I have to turn the knob manually to completely open the dome and the fan turns on. Same when I close it, the motor u can hear running and the dome closes until about 3 or 4ins from completely closing and than the motor stops and I have to turn the handle manually until the fan shuts off and the dome completely closes.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I replaced my motor the new one will not stay engaged with the motor gear so I need to just push up on the knob to keep it engaged till it's opened or closed. I can hear the motor running on mine can you hear your motor running or does it just shut off.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
2 many 2 wrote:
Just as an ancillary response, I am glad the OP has solved his problem (we hope) :C

I never use the automatic opening and closing switch. I am too impatient to wait for it to open or close, so, I always just pull the handle down and open or close it manually.

That's just me............:B

My fan must be a older model because my handle on the left motor does not have the pull down handle to open manually. Its a fixed handle that goes right into the shaft.
this is the lift motor i have and I believe the newer models have the lift motor right above mine where the label says manual etc.. NOT SURE IF THEY ARE INTERCHANGEABLE OR NOT. Maybe someone would know. The second link is the other motor for I believe newer fans with the pull down.

lift motor K6010-81

newer lift motor

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
joelyn wrote:
2 many 2 wrote:
Thanks for getting back to this thread and posting a resolution.

I needed a switch a few years ago, the nice lady on the phone would not let me pay for it. That is incredible customer service!

:B

Yes indeed, there customer service is GREATTTTTTT.. Always has been with me at least. Thanks for the reply.

I just remembered, I ran into a guy that had a ten year old Fantastic Fan about five years ago. He was having some issues with it and I told him to call Fantastic fan and see what happens. They sent him an entire new fan! I am pretty sure that would not happen today, but he was a happy customer!!

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just as an ancillary response, I am glad the OP has solved his problem (we hope) :C

I never use the automatic opening and closing switch. I am too impatient to wait for it to open or close, so, I always just pull the handle down and open or close it manually.

That's just me............:B

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Another problem, is every time someone works on our RV. They pull the knob down and turn the fan on with the knob, then they must close by pushing the knob up and using the switch in the cabinets or something. Sometimes the covers are torqued down so tight to bite into the seal hard and motor struggles to open it. Other times, the knob is still down and switch won't do anything. Then other times motor will only open half way or not at all. have to open it all the way and let the motor cycle to open position and push knob up. Maybe not exactly spot on descriptions but they screw them up just about every time.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
2 many 2 wrote:

I needed a switch a few years ago, the nice lady on the phone would not let me pay for it. That is incredible customer service!

Yes indeed, there customer service is GREATTTTTTT.. Always has been with me at least. Thanks for the reply.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
OK, tried some lube on the gears and teeth but still motor would not open and close like it should. So I contacted DOMETIC TECH SUPPORT for any suggestions and to my surprise, after explaining to the girl what was happening she had no solution so SHE SAID SHE WILL SEND ME A ENTIRE NEW LIFT MOTOR AND ARM ASSEMBLY,,,,NO CHARGE....... WOW did not expect that. Have always had pretty good experience with Dometic but they went above and beyond for me with with this matter. My hat off to them and thank you for a great experience. They stay on my list for any future purchases.
And also THANK YOU to all who responded with your suggestions and ideas to try to remedy this problem. Have Always got great help from this forum for many many years. THANKS

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
if it has been hard for the motor to open the lid or it did not open all the way the motor may have been stopped wile still powered up causing it to over heat and now it may not have the power to open the lid as it once had.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Almost sounds like a lubrication issue

The Pin switch people are talking about turns the FAN motor off if the lid is closed. DO not know (Since I don't have that model) if it has anything to do with the lift motor.

Thanks, will try to get out today and take the motor out and check if there is anyplace to lubricate and if so see if that helps. will let u know. only problem is its going to be 119 here today in Az. and the trailer is about 125 in there, lol.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
shastagary wrote:
until you take the lift motor out and see what is wrong with it you will not know. did it get wet is it worn out?
here is a replacement one one that has a video talking about it Replacement Lift Motor for Fan-Tastic Vent

Brand new motor, just replaced it about 3 months ago. I think my lift motor is the older style since it does not have the pull down handle for manual operation. My model is K6010-81.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
until you take the lift motor out and see what is wrong with it you will not know. did it get wet? is it hard to crank up manually?
here is a replacement one one that has a video talking about it Replacement Lift Motor for Fan-Tastic Vent

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Almost sounds like a lubrication issue

The Pin switch people are talking about turns the FAN motor off if the lid is closed. DO not know (Since I don't have that model) if it has anything to do with the lift motor.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times