cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Faster Chargeing

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
After last weeks camping trip it looks like I need to upgrade my charging system.
What I have now

Parallax 7345 and small solar panel which seems to do real good at maintaining the 2 group 27 batteries in the summer.

After researching on here and finding that the 7345 will take something like 3 days to recharge my batteries it looks like need to up date my converter ๐Ÿ˜ž (So much for firing up the generator and watching a movie while the batteries charge :?

What I havent been able find online is for sure how to diable the stock conveter if I in stall something like this ?
http://www.amazon.com/PowerMax-PM3-55-Amp-Power-Supply/dp/B004W8MQA8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1382230443&sr=8-11&keywords=rv+converter+charger
or this
http://www.bestconverter.com/PowerMax-PM4B-60-60-Amp-4-Stage-ConverterCharger_p_413.html

I have plenty of room to mount it behind the old unit. that seams to work fine except for charging.

Thanks Gary
Gary
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Parallex 7300 series is a single stage charger, These do a slow job and either never fully charge the batteries or over charge them (Parallex has decent regulation so they do not often over charge)

For two Group 27's I'd not go over 60 amps. the 45 is really a good size but you could go up to 60

I'd replace the "GUTS" of the 7300 with a Progressive Dynamics 9200 (9245 or 9260) the reomte dongle is optional on this model

Or if it's cheaper a 9100 with the optional charge wizard (Which is also a remote dongle) (The wizard is built into the 9200)

These are top of the line 3-stage chargers and will recharge the batteries in 6-8 hours.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
I use this: PDI 9260

Also got the charge wizard, so can manually put into bulk mode. Great charger.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't run both converters at the same time. The battery will only accept so much current so its hard for me to see that there is any advantage in running the Magnetek, at 3.8v, along with the PD (for example) at 4.4v. Run either one and switch the other off. Once the battery is 90% charged, or after 4 hours, the PD reduces the voltage and does not boil the water away.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
Thank for all the quick response's.
I read somewhere that if you leave the old converter hooked up it fool the other one into thinking the battery's are more charged then they are ?

If the power max cuts out at 75% that would better for battery life but would not be ideal for dry camping which is 100% what we do. The only time its plugged in would right before a trip or if I thought the battery's we're low. Which hasn't happened yet with the solar then again we haven't had any rain in the nine months I've had it.
I would just like to be able to run the generator for a couple of hours and not have to worry about running the heater all night
Gary
Gary

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The PM4 is superior to the PM3. It does not need the batts to be low before it will do a bulk stage. The PM3 is like a WFCO for that. Also the PM4 has that Equalize goose during Float. Randy has that 3 yr warranty too.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I was in the same position and replaced my 7345 section with a PDI 9260.
Made a huge improvement to how fast the batts charge and do a better job at maintaining them too.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Don't go bigger with the PowerMax as it does not hold voltage once the set point is hit. Once it hits 14.6 PowerMax drops down to 13.6 and you are back to slow charging. I think BFL13 measured about 75% charged when it steps down. The effect of a smaller unit will kick down at a higher percentage. Think 35a or 45a max with PowerMax and two batteries.

IOTA and Progressive hold voltage 14.2+ for an extended period and might serve you better. Going more amps with these is fine, especially the Progressive. Check your battery connection size before you go over 60 amps.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you keep both converters charging will be even faster.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
You can keep both the old converter and the new one. Just switch the power off to the one you don't want to use. That way you can keep the Magnetek as an emergency backup, not that its necessary. If you have the space you could install a second circuit breaker for the new converter, or mount the new converter close to the battery and plug it into an outlet. Turn the CB for the old converter off.

Personally, I replaced the old with a PD 9260.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my Parallax 7345 converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD4645 converter a few months back. It's made to fit in the same space as the old converter.

As already mentioned, disconnect shore power and battery ground wire before doing the swap.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced my Parallax 7345 with this Progressive Dynamics PD4655V. Direct drop in replacement.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Disable the stock converter:H

You will be replacing the stock with the NEW converter. No reason to keep old converter installed (keep as a spare maybe)

Disconnect AC input to converter
Disconnect battery cables on converter
Remove old converter
Install new converter
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31