cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firman Generators

martinandanne
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any experience with Firman Generators? I am specifically looking to buy one of these. I plan on using it to supply power to my 50-Amp TT until I can get the electric power run to the property that I own. Then I will use it as backup power for the house to be built there as well.

Thanks

Martin
Evergreen Everlite 31REW pulled by a big red Ram 2500
22 REPLIES 22

MrWizard
Well.. We are all discussing generators
But I think the op is going at backwards
The power Intel from the utility is not going to be any cheaper in 1 or 2 years when he is finished building the house
He still had to pay for that
I would do that first, is paid for and you have utility per for the trailer and the construction an then the house
No fuel bill for the generator, no noise , but a smaller generator for backup power, just in case
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
SaltiDawg wrote:
DrewE wrote:

If it will be some time before you get power installed, I would suggest considering the Honda EU7000 which would be much quieter and hence more pleasant to live with and would use somewhat less fuel...but it does also have a much higher initial cost. Perhaps you could find one used.

"the all-new EU7000is, equipped with a new 5.1 gallon gas tank, can operate for six hours per tankful of gas at rated load..."

Not too different fuel usage in gph for much less power generated. :@

It's somewhere around 20% better on a per kW basis, according to my quick computations. I would guess that the gap is a good bit wider at lighter loads since the Honda does not run at a constant engine speed.

If it were me choosing, the difference in sound levels and likely generator longevity would be the more important deciding matters and the fuel savings more of a nice bonus, though at perhaps a few dollars a day it could add up to something approaching real money over time.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My Kubota diesel only runs at 1,200 RPM but I still need ear protection inside the gen shed. Outside it is quiet. One of the advantages of a stationary situation. Running a generator continuously costs money. Even at 15 cents a gallon down here the 140 mile "runs" for four drums of fuel was a killer.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
Private property, they are building a house

bikendan wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
It doesn't say how loud it is so I'm guessing it's really loud.

Dead giveaway for a loud generator, no noise level rating.

it'll be too loud for any campground but ok for boondocking at races and the desert.

I get it on the private property, but I still don't think that means get the loudest thing you can find.
I heard a loud genset running on a school bus conversion parked behind a cracker Barrel.
It was way to loud. A loud genset can loud enough to annoy me without even considering anyone else.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

MrWizard
Private property, they are building a house

bikendan wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:

it'll be too loud for any campground but ok for boondocking at races and the desert.
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the only store that I know of that isn't "Stationary." ๐Ÿ™‚

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Not a joke. Go to stationary store. Buy a waterproof tag with wire and a marker pen.

Write

WARRANTY RETURN AUTORIZATION ABC123456789
LEAKS AND BURNS OIL

Betcha the crooks will avoid it like bubonic plague

Smear a bit of oil around but not on muffler and dribble some on base.

Gotta be smarter than the problem.

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

If it will be some time before you get power installed, I would suggest considering the Honda EU7000 which would be much quieter and hence more pleasant to live with and would use somewhat less fuel...but it does also have a much higher initial cost. Perhaps you could find one used.

"the all-new EU7000is, equipped with a new 5.1 gallon gas tank, can operate for six hours per tankful of gas at rated load..."

Not too different fuel usage in gph for much less power generated. :@

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
If I was concerned about theft while away - cheap and loud would sound much better then quietly gone.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
This Newegg ad rates the Firman at 74 db @ 23 feet.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
2/3rds gallon half load? Gallon and a quarter loaded? Cheap gasoline 2 bucks a gallon. Say $2.50 hr x 24 ? + gen cost + runs for fuel.

Just an informal "workup sheet". Perspectives. Set on a slab soundproofing is a snap. Sheet metal for high frequency sound attenuation. Pyramid cone foam insulation for low frequencies. Baffle gable ventilation. Enclosed I have a 140 watt 120vac EB Pabst fan pulling air in and a pusher fan on the Kubota's radiator.

Make sure your engine has a low oil shutdown circuit.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
I would go for the 8000 watt Champion, same price better quality.

X2. You can build a simple enclosure around the generator to lower the sound for any model you buy.

MrWizard
No experience with brand
many of us have various models of the Champion brand generator
both open frame like your looking at and their enclosed inverter models
they don't have a quiet 'inverter style' generator in that size
but they do have an equivalent open frame model
and the factory warranty service is very very good
the home office is here in southern Calif
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s