cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat tire issue after tires checked at Tire Place.

efiguero
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from a trip to the beach in our 97 Fleetwood Class C Ford E350, and had a couple of issues with a flat tire. First, we could not figure out how to drop our spare (Some might have seen the post for help with that.), next, when our roadside assistance service provider pulled the flat tire (The inside rear passenger tire, dully set up), he could not figure out why it had gone flat. Apparently we had driven on it flat for a while which caused permanent damage to the inside walls of the tire so it could not be repaired. However upon his inspecting of the tire, he could not see any exterior damage, like nails, cracks, holes, etc. The other odd thing was the valve was gone, along with the valve extender. The tech said that once the tire deflated that the valve an extender most likely fell off as we were driving. Anyhow, prior to us leaving on our trip, I took the rig over to a Discount Tire that is less than a mile away from my home to have them check the tires and pressure before we hit the road. The kid doing it, seemed to be having a hard time, complained a little, but seemed to have done it and told me that all the tires were checked and inflated to proper PSI. Could he have done something to the valve/valve extender to cause the tire to deflate? I was just not sure it these dully tires are that sensitive. Never had experience with this type of tire set up. I will probably go to the same Discount Tire to get the new tire, but I am curious if I should bring this up to them and see if they feel something might have been done incorrectly (Doubt they will own up to it if it was, but never hurts to ask.)
18 REPLIES 18

Kennedycamper
Explorer
Explorer
2 things, First your post makes a compelling argument for doing a practice tire change in your own driveway before the first trip. Second, Tire Pressure Monitor Systems may not be as worthless as their detractors seem to think.

efiguero
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
You'll never know the cause of the tire deflation and won't make any friends at Discount Tire asking them to assume blame for it. It could have been something as generic as a rock or road debris striking the valve stem and causing the deflation.

I have a buddy that is a Regional Manager for Discount Tire in another city and he said just to talk to the manager and tell them what happened and see what they say. I was not going to with the intentions of accusing, just to ask if they thought something could have been done wrong. They would be the ones I would go get tires from anyhow as I normally use them, so I don't want to go in and make enemy's.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You'll never know the cause of the tire deflation and won't make any friends at Discount Tire asking them to assume blame for it. It could have been something as generic as a rock or road debris striking the valve stem and causing the deflation.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
The scraeder valve could have partially stuck open. Depending on the size of leak and background noise it's possible the tech didn't realize it was leaking. The valve cap could help slow the leak if it was replaced.