cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For The Toad GOODyear A BAD idea?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I just cannot see paying a hundred twenty two dollars a tire for a piece of tin that weighs a whole 2,700 lbs. That and the days of trying to emulate Mario Andretti are long past.

WallyWorld has Goodyear tires at a price that is attractive. Reviews give me a headache. How does a person navigate their way through a galaxy of one and five star reviews.

Fact is, I don't trust the reviews

But I do trust you...

Please share. Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Good grief!

"Cheap Name Brand Tires"

Used to be an oxymoron. But I am reluctant to spend more for the tires than the Kelley Blue Book low book value for the car.

One misfire of the automatic transmission and the to-be-crush-cubed car will be aboard a barge on its way to China. Living on Social Insecurity ain't as easy as it used to be.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
I suggested those others before I knew you had "performance" tires. All I knew was you had a 2700 lbs. toad and assumed it was a compact car. Good Luck.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P01+%28W-Speed+Rated%2...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Fuzion&tireModel=Touring+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&...

Thanks for the links. But that is not "Hankook, General and Goodyear".
I knew about the Sumitomo and may try them.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P01+%28W-Speed+Rated%2...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Fuzion&tireModel=Touring+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&...
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
subcamper wrote:

I have been running Fierce Instinct VR tires for about 4 years now on my Chevy HHR. These are made by Goodyear, and I bought them on the recommendation of my trusted tire dealer.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. It doesn't make sense to by cheap name brand tires.

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try the Tire Rack.
USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand where you are coming from, MEX. You want decent tires for a reasonable price that won't wear out so fast that it negates any price savings.

I have been running Fierce Instinct VR tires for about 4 years now on my Chevy HHR. These are made by Goodyear, and I bought them on the recommendation of my trusted tire dealer. I have found them to be good in the rain, good dry weather traction, and decent in the snow. I drive in a 'spirited' manner and they stick well to the road. They are also about 2/3 the price of a major-branded tire. I believe they compare favorably to all tires, except maybe for the very highest rated tires ($$) such as the Goodyear Triple-tread or Michelin Primacy.

Also, we run Kelly tires on our minivan and they also seem to be good tires overall. I'm not sure which Kelly model they are.

Steve

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
High performance tires on MY toad? Jeemaneez, that would be like putting a turbo and NOX system on a Checker Cab ๐Ÿ˜ž
I know MEX. Doesn't make sense but those ARE the best tires you can get on a car. Everything else, with the exception of truck tires, is substandard. IMO, you're no better off with a set of cheap name brands then you are with a set of even cheaper Chinese tires. Seriously. So if you don't want the "high performance" tires, then just get the cheapest you can find.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
High performance tires on MY toad? Jeemaneez, that would be like putting a turbo and NOX system on a Checker Cab ๐Ÿ˜ž

Problem is...for some tire sizes (like my 215/50/17) that's pretty much all they make is high performance tires....even though the HHR is far from a high performance car.

What size are your tires?
Dan and Nickie

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner - x2 based on my experience.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I can help much here MEX as I only buy expensive, high performance tires. Cars are my hobby and they only wear premium shoes. Those get all the R&D love and the latest tech. Even my former 1992 Nissan Sentra with 250,000 plus miles wore the latest Pirelli P Zero's. Tires are the onlynthings between your car and the road. Don't skimp. That said, I find that the best tires are the one's in highly competitive categories. Any really high performance will be excellent but have short life. A good compromise is the ulta high performance all-season. I like the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric all season and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
Hankook, General and Goodyear should all be about $60 a tire. They all will be fine on a toad.

Where can I find those?
I've been shopping for a week and nothing is close to that price that I have found for our HHR.

215/50/17 is the size.

OP, the best deals I have found is NTB as they are having a 'buy 3, get one free' sale on select brands right now until Aug 4.

Afraid I can't help with the reviews as I feel the same way you do.
Dan and Nickie

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Hankook, General and Goodyear should all be about $60 a tire. They all will be fine on a toad.