cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water gate valve leak

Rycher
Explorer
Explorer
So it looks like my new to me rv has a fresh water gate valve issue. Its leaking where the black gate valve meets the white drain pipe. The valve itself says abs so im assuming its glued to the white pipe. any one have a good trick on getting this old valve off. i'd like to replace with new but have no clue how to break this thing free? the brand on it says bristol.

17 REPLIES 17

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes.

Found a youtube video that shows how the valve assembly comes apart.

HERE

You will end up with a flange that stays connected to your tank, the other flange is the open side and the valve body goes in between the two flanges.

Personally, it IS the wrong valve for this application, there is zero need for a 1 1/2" drain on the fresh water tank unless you are planning to put out forest fires with it.. And boy, with the crud build up inside that valve I would hate to think about what water the previous owners put into that tank.. Man that is ugly mineral residue.

I would suggest once you have the valve out see if the flange on the tank side can be removed (IE not spun welded or glued in place) and then get a 1 1/2" to 1/2" pipe reducer and put a standard off the shelf 1/2" valve you would use for pressurized plumbing..

Rycher
Explorer
Explorer
Hahha.. that made me laugh..

ya im sure its fresh water.. its at the front of TT, under bed. The fill hole for it is the front on the side, when i start to fill it that valve starts dripping.. it is 1 1/2

There are 2 other tanks in TT, one under kitchen and one under bathroom. both those thanks drain out of one single 3" connection in the back with 2 gate valves.

So basically taking apart the valve itself will allow it to disjoin from the white pipe?

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III

Egad, I am not so sure that is "FRESH" water tank..

Are you really sure about that?

Those type of gate valves are typically used to drain "grey" (sink and shower) or "black" (toilet) waste holding tanks..

What is the size? 1 1/2", 3"?

Typical freshwater tanks will use standard off the shelf water valves that are 1/2" pipe thread..

Grey tanks use 1 1/2" gate valve and black tanks use 3" gate valve.

Some RVs have two grey tanks and one of those all by it's self.. That is often due to the layout of the RV which may not allow one grey tank..

That valve is replaced by removing the four bolts holding it together, removing the bolts allows the two outside flanges to part from the gate valve body.

Replace the entire valve body, don't bother with buying just the seals..