Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge/Freezer level question

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody remember 2 things...

1. How many degrees off level can I run fridge and without occurring damage?

2. Is that propane or elec or both?

Thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
15 REPLIES 15

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
To convert degrees to something more visual, a good indicator is inches-per-foot.

3 degrees = 5/8" per foot
6 degrees = 1 1/4" per foot

If you use a 2 foot level, one end would be 1 1/4" higher or lower for 3 degrees, and 2 1/2" higher or lower than the other.

Most fridges are mounted so front-to-back on the fridge is the width of the trailer. So an 8 foot wide trailer would need to be 10" off level to equal 6 degrees front-to-back on the fridge.

For a 30 foot trailer, it would need to be about 18 3/4" out of level from front to back to equal 3 degrees.

Steve

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe in turning the fridge off too, Mr. Wizard, when parked for a short time and not level.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MrWizard
when i park off level at the street curb by grocery
i just turn the fridge off, while i'm there

most camping spots are not too bad
but street parking while shopping or sight seeing, well some places have domed streets, and pretty deep curbs
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
camperdave wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Norcold states degrees
3* side to side
6* front to rear

wow, that's a LOT of unlevel. Have we been overly worried about fridge level this whole time?

It SEEMS to be a drastic measurement. But, if you really look at 3 degrees and 6 degrees, it is not that far out of level. Doug
3 degrees side to side is not really that drastic. We don't get our B as level as we do our trailer since it's harder with 4 wheels and our last trip we were just under 3 degrees front to back with the B which is side to side for the fridge. It was livable for us and we hope the fridge made it through OK.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
New fridges are expensive as piano indicates.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 degrees and both NOTE. it does make a difference if we are talking nose to tail or side to side.. As I recall one of 'em is more than 3. but 3 is safe.

So how much is 3 Degrees.????? Well figuring 8 feet side to side. a bit more than 5" or about 4.5 to 5 " at the wheels. You won't be comfortable at that pitch. I might. but Well. long story.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I can assure you, if you are so un level as to hurt the fridge, you will go looking for some blocks if you don't have jacks. And I didn't just start camping yesterday !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
camperdave wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Norcold states degrees
3* side to side
6* front to rear

wow, that's a LOT of unlevel. Have we been overly worried about fridge level this whole time?

It SEEMS to be a drastic measurement. But, if you really look at 3 degrees and 6 degrees, it is not that far out of level. Doug

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperdave wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Norcold states degrees
3* side to side
6* front to rear

Indeed, many people are unnecessarily cautious about leveling their fridge. Other people are insufficiently cautious, of course.

In practice, if the RV is pretty close to level, as in level enough for you to do normal things comfortably and operate the others systems reasonably (things like fry an egg or take a shower or walk around without going bonk into the cabinets), it's more than level enough for the fridge.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is better to be cautious than to have to cough up for a new Fridge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Norcold states degrees
3* side to side
6* front to rear

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
Worth considering if you opt to park out of level...
Protection

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The need to level applies to both electric and propane.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.