cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge Not Staying Lit on Propane

Explorer II
Explorer II

I have a 12 year old Norcold N811FRT that refuses to stay lit on propane. It fires up with what appears to be a nice flame, the igniter click-click-clicks and starts to glow red. However, it doesn't proof the flame and times out after about 15 seconds.

What I have done so far: Replaced the old rusted out burner and orifice, cleaned the igniter and connector, solenoid valve, gas line and flu.

The solenoid coil measures 81 ohms. the valve intake filter was disintegrated to black powder inside the valve. The furnace and 3 stove burners burning all at once work fine so I ruled out the regulator. 

Is there a way to test the igniter and control board without swapping it out?

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

On Edit: When this started a few months ago I could initially cool it down on electric, switch to propane the next day and it would stay lit. Now that doesn't work. I believe that may be a noteworthy clue.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857
1 REPLY 1

naturist
Nomad
Nomad

Sounds to me like a classic case of dead thermocouple. Cheap repair, should cost less than $10 and take about 15 minutes.

After ignition, the thermocouple is supposed to confirm there's a fire so that raw propane isn't becoming a bomb-squad hazard. If it fails, this very behavior results.