cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge temp discussion about lower compartments

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
There was a thread last week about bluetooth thermometers and i ended up buying the RV Whisper setup. I like it a lot and spent a few days testing sensors side by side. The temp readings where always very close between 4 sensors.

I started playing around with them and noticed how the lower compartments of my dometic absorption fridge are often over 40F while the rest of the fridge is at 36F.

There were times i would store meat in those compartments because i felt they are easy to clean and sanitize.

I do have a small fan blowing inside the fridge. Suppose its reasonable to think removing the flat plastic cover on the shelf would help airflow and decrease the temps inside the compartments. I will definitely test that.

Posted a few screenshots. One temp sensor was inside the freezer and i moved to the lower compartment. The other temp sensor was on the top shelf of the fridge and i moved it to the same lower compartment.

I did that yesterday and opened the fridge maybe twice. It ran all night and this morning the lower compartment temps are still 40f while the rest of the fridge is 36f.

Fridge is running on electric. Plugged into 50amp and voltage is high.

10 REPLIES 10

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Turned focus to humidity and the compartments have been consistently lower than the rest of the fridge. Meaning they are working backwards as humidity is supposed to be higher.

I see no benefit to that flat separator on the lower shelf.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Waeco is now Dometic according to what I read.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with the Waeco brand, but the Norcold commonly used in the marine applications typically are about 4amps with a 50% duty cycle.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
RV refers in the bottom section uses convection air flow to remove the Heat. That is why it is important to not install food against the back wall in bags. Cans and bottles. The air flow must flow over the Evap fins to remove the Heat from the inside. ANYTHING (fans) that promote air flow over those fins will make the refer cool better. Since the bottom crisper drawers will not as easily have air flow, they will not get as cold. ICE on the Evap fins is a insulator and defrosting the refer when ICE builds up on the fins is required to get the refer colder and operate correctly. Using the Bluetooth temp sensors is a good idea but it is like have 4 watches. A man with 1 watch knows the time. A Man with 4 watches is never sure. Doug

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
What do they pull at 12v? Wondering out of curiosity for boondocking.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Of course the best answer is pull the Amish fridge and install a Waeco compressor fridge. You can sell you old working fridge, someone will buy it.

A Waeco compressor is not to be confused with a residential compressor fridge. Waeco compressor fridges are duty cycle fridges and the compressors are super efficient so amp draw is less than a residential unit, substantially less and they operate on 110 or 12 volt power (no propane). As the fridge gets colder, the compressor adjusts to the cooler temps and cycles only when needed and at a lower draw.

Boaters have used them for years because the power is limited (no shore power when underway) and they don't have to be level to work (rough seas). In fact they run just fine up to 20 degrees out of plumb in any direction. Your Amish fridge won't.

Cost, about the same or less than an Amish fridge. You'd think RV builders would use them, just have not wised up yet. European builds have long ago.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Absorption fridges have 'temperature zones'
Freezer.coldest spot is next to back wall where coil/plate is located

Food compartment....
Right side top coolest with temps getting warmer as you move to left and down
Door shelves warmest

Fan inside food compartment 'helps' circulate air but still will have cooler/warmer spots
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
the drawers on the bottom of the refrigerator are called the crisper drawers.
it is a compartment located within a refrigerator designed to prolong the freshness of stored produce. Crisper drawers have a different level of humidity from the rest of the refrigerator, optimizing freshness in fruits and vegetables. if your not using them for that purpose removing the partition above should get them to the same temp as the rest of the refrigerator.
refrigerator crisper drawer

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting. Iโ€™ll test my fridgeโ€™s lower compartments.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It will be interesting to see if the temperatures go down if you pull that separator out of the way. I would seem likely. Please post back what you find out.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"