Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas regulator issue, or Fridge?

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Montana High Country 5th wheel
There has been a variable whine sound coming from propane tank area for some time, either side whichever is in service, various tank levels. It is totally random, might not hear it for days, then it's on for a day or so. Last time leaving, the sound was happening, and I switched the battery disconnect and it stopped. I did not mean to as I wanted to leave the fridge on this time. Switched back and the sound renewed.
So now I know it is related to the fridge, of which I have had issues with for 2 years, on 2nd new cooling unit. Was operating reasonably well recently in cooler weather. Dometic RM1350

Thoughts?
16 REPLIES 16

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Update from this past weekend:
Heard a low whine second day in. Shut off fridge, stopped. Lit stove, whine came back. So looks like regulator? That would be 2 bad ones in a row, including original as we bought trailer new.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine did the same thing. Replaced propane regulator. problem solved.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I doubt if it's your fridge. Generally speaking the more use/flow thru a reg. will cause more singing(whine). I would think that your should be able to duplicate the sound using an alternate source of flow as rdhetrick mentioned. Though I've not noticed my reg singing, I do know factually that all natural gas regs sing under use. I may not hear mine 'cause I'm somewhat hearing impair.......well, my wife thinks so anyhow. You can have your pressure checked, or check it yourself for lock-up(no flow) and for flow. Should be real close to 11" water column when flowing. Or you can change it and see/listen if the new one sings to ya.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Which compartment?
Do you have an inverter and is it in same compartment?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
OP here
Further info: Noise comes from either compartment, whichever is in service.
Main regulator replaced previously, no change.
Will turn off fridge and check stove this weekend if it happens, it is random both in frequency and intensity.
And yes, the sound stopped immediately after fridge was turned off.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rdhetrick wrote:
Turn off the DC, light the stove, does the sound come back?

May or may NOT. The refer uses very little LP while the Stove uses a lot. Doug

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off the DC, light the stove, does the sound come back?
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
Propane whine noise would not disappear when DC is disconnected. It would if thew rig is equipped with solenoid to shut flow of propane. Solenoid is located near regulator.
It would be more noticeable to be fan. Fans start to make noises as they begin to fail. Would have to move around outside the rig to isolate.

YES IT WOULD. When DC disconnected, the refer shuts OFF and the LP of the refer shuts OFF with no LP being used. Hence the whine stops. Doug

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe a couple seconds for the propane to quit flowing through the regulator.

When the fridge shuts off because of no power, propane flow stops immediately.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
refer uses so littl epropane it would take a while to relieve pressure sufficient to be noticable.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
Propane whine noise would not disappear when DC is disconnected. It would if thew rig is equipped with solenoid to shut flow of propane. Solenoid is located near regulator.
It would be more noticeable to be fan. Fans start to make noises as they begin to fail. Would have to move around outside the rig to isolate.

Yes it would. When the fridge stopped operating because the 12v was shut off to the circuit board causing the propane to stop flowing to it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
Probably the LP regulator. Replace it. Doug

It makes the noise because LP is being drawn thru it and there is a problem with the rubber diaphragm.

X2

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
What kind of sound? Clicking or scrapping like something in one of the fans?

Quote from OP:

"variable whine sound coming from propane tank area"