cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generac vs Onan generator

Vacationer04
Explorer
Explorer
I highly respect the opinions I get here so I am inquiring as I'm looking at a coach that has a Generac generator. I would like to know how well they compare to an Onan in dependability? I have had Onans for the past 12 years and am comfortable with how they operate but know nothing about Generac except seeing them in other RVs. Are parts and service easily available or are they a "red-headed stepchild" in that situation? Replacing it is not something I would want to do after doing that on my old coach a year ago.
Thanks!
Jim & Linda E.
'04 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36WDD, 2 slides
'03 Honda CR-V EX Awd
Demco Kar-Bar & baseplate
Brake Buddy Classic

"Don't tell me it can't be done, just tell me it won't be easy."
"If I can't buy what I need, I'll make it myself."
27 REPLIES 27

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Generac and Onan are equally large companies, and both make wonderful products.

I have a buddy who has a Generac, and it works great! I have an Onan, and it worked great for the first 15 years that I had the RV. . .

Good luck,

Fred.

FYI, ONAN is actually owned by CUMMINS. Not much of a comparison in size.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Don't shoot the messenger, but I have seen the term "Gen-a-junk" used many times in reference to Generac generators.

Richard

Gen A Junk and Oh No's. I sold a Honda EV 4010 RV generator with an RV and have kicked myself ever since!

JalynRohan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a champion inverter generator for the last 6 years and still, it works like earlier but now I need more power so Should I sell this generator, and buy a new generator with a higher capacity. Or Should I purchase the same model and connect it with my old inverter generator?

JalynRohan
Explorer
Explorer
raroberts wrote:
I have had a lot of trouble getting parts for my generac 5.5
Now I have low oil pressure and the engine needs tearing down to investigate. It will cost me about $2k extra, but I'm just going to replace my unit with an Onan. So, mu opinion, when you have a choice, don't get a Generac RV gen set.

I have a champion inverter generator for the last 6 years and still, it works like earlier but now I need more power so Should I sell this generator, and buy a new generator with a higher capacity. Or Should I purchase the same model and connect it with my old inverter generator?

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
Both are JUNK when compared to a Honda,just no comparison .

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Water jacketing cuts motor (not exhaust) noise about in half. Oh well, can't have everything...

I enjoy supremely low db noise and vibration. Unfortunately the 100-meter walk to the generator shed is a tad uncomfortable in a tropical down-pour. You know, the ones that have dense cloud cover so solar panels are useless.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sure wish SOMEONE would design, manufacture, and offer a build-in-able 4000 watt, gas powered, 1800 maximum RPM at full power, inverter based generator for RV manufacturers to install in their small gas powered RVs.

I'm sure it wouldn't take rocket science to do so ... and I for one would spend more (over and above the approximate $3K adder for a current 4K Onan) for the option when buying a new RV.

Imagine .... 4000 ultra-quiet watts on tap whenever wanted/needed anywhere anytime ... at maybe a 54 dB or less noise level at full rated output. Nirvana!

For what it's worth, this is the closest generator to what I describe that I've been able to find available so far noise-wise and power-wise ... unfortunately it's water cooled:

http://fischerpanda.com/fischer-panda-dc-agtpm4/
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Well, I have a friend that has one of those "ONAJUNKS" right now too,....won't start, and if it does, it "hunts" for stable throttle, has no power. But when the weather gets civilized I'll help him pull the "bowl",...probably find some junk in it, get it running good again,.....then we can take the "junk" out of the "ONA" ๐Ÿ™‚

Been working with Onan's since 1980. To me the new Onan units are not as good as the older ones.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have a friend that has one of those "ONAJUNKS" right now too,....won't start, and if it does, it "hunts" for stable throttle, has no power. But when the weather gets civilized I'll help him pull the "bowl",...probably find some junk in it, get it running good again,.....then we can take the "junk" out of the "ONA" ๐Ÿ™‚
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest problem with my GENERAC 5500 (since the oil seal and rebuild) is that the thing will absolutely not start in, say 30 degree weather. It'll crank like crazy, but will not start. Let the temp get up into the 40s and above...no problem.

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
They are called Genajunk Genacrap for a reason.I had two in a company. One ran perfect never a problem.The other was a constant problem. Always something wrong.Same models just one serial number off. Another problem was you never knew. When they would start and stop making RV units.I refuse to even work on them and know other techs that feel the same way. Guy in town has a two year old portable. Can't get parts for it. So if you buy Generac don't expect much.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Both are excellent, maintenance is the key keeping them in running shape
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Don't shoot the messenger, but I have seen the term "Gen-a-junk" used many times in reference to Generac generators.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
I can't compare to Generac as I've never owned the former. I'm on my second Onan. The first was a 4000 watt and was reliable but kind of loud. It was factory installed in 2003 toyhauler. My current RV is a 2015 toyhauler with a 5500 watt. It is so quiet, it is hard to tell when it starts. They have made great strides in soundproofing but I think big difference in sound is is my new generator runs slower than the old generator (2400 RPM vs 3600 RPM).
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad